Friday, March 27, 2009

Health Notes -- What should I have on hand?

This is going to be quick and to the point - and therefore not totally complete! I just want to give you a quick tour through my "medicine" cabinet, which incidentally looks more like a chemists lab, with little brown bottles of tinctures and bags of green grass looking stuff that could easily be mistaken for loose drugs. I also want to give you a list of websites where I order most of my "potions" and you can do some research on your own.

What I have on hand at all times is this --

-Our individual multi-vitamins - I am a firm believer that many, many companies have great products...I like to try different things and vary what we take. As long as it is clean (meaning organic) and green (meaning chock full of dark, leafy whole food supplements) I am usually happy with it.

Before anyone tells me, yes, I know that if we ate perfectly we would not need a multi, and if you do, more power to you - but, considering that an apple is really no longer an apple due to soil depletion and considering that the vast majority of people (me included) can't find enough hours in a day for 9-15 servings of fresh fruits and veggies - I'm taking the supplement.

Currently we are all taking something from a company called Beeyoutiful. I love their products and I find them very reasonable in price. We have stocked up on SuperDad, SuperMom, and SuperKids and we are all feeling like Popeye around here! Their website is www.beeyoutiful.com

-Fish oil - We eat fish oil like candy around here. It is great for neurological development and it is a natural calmer for hyper boys! Graham gets the largest dose, as you may imagine. I use whatever brand I can find for the best price -- as long as it is from cold water fish and certified free from PCBs. This is very important.

-Digestive enzymes/probiotics - I believe that these are very important to your digestive health. If you eat 100% raw food, you may not need these, but again, more power to you because I can't seem to get there. Otherwise, our systems just need a little help breaking down wheat, dairy, and meat. We take a Standard Process product enzyme and beeyoutiful sells a great probiotic, which puts good bacteria into your digestive tract.

-Evening Primrose Oil - Being a hormonal woman, I need help keeping all of that in balance so I take a daily dose of EPO. It helps balance PMS symptoms and mood swings. Again, as long as it is "clean" I will purchase whatever I can find for the best price.

I think those are our "daily" things -- Also in my cabinet you will find a few things that I often need since I have four kiddos.

-Arnica - This is a homeopathic remedy for trauma and bruises. With our crew we often have bruises and trauma. These pellets are available at Whole Foods or any health food store (Food and Thought) if you are in Naples. I hand out a dose anytime I hear that "thunk" of a head or knee striking the floor or pavement. All you moms know the sound!

-Congaplex - Another Standard Process product that is great for the onset of a virus or cold. You take a whopping dose the first day - like 10 pills, and then for a few days after that you take 5 or 6 a day and usually that knocks it out.

-Teas - I also keep a lot of teas around to brew for different ailments. Peppermint for tummy or head aches, cinnamon for viral infections or colds, and red raspberry for pregnancy or PMS symptoms. I buy my teas at www.thebulkherbstore.com - they are delicious and organic. You can also take any of these loose herbs and make a tincture - which is just an oral dose of natural "medicine." I will write a post one day about how to make one.

These are the main natural remedies that are in my arsenal for proactive health. There are other things used specifically to treat certain conditions or illnesses. I will work my way through some of those in future posts. All of the things I mentioned should be readily available to you no matter where you live or online.

How are you doing with no white flour today??

Healthy Eating!

No comments: