Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Slumber Party

Right now my house is filled to the brim! I am well aware that my oldest children are almost sixteen years old and it will not always be like this.

I love it!

The kids decided spur of the moment to ask permission to have friends spend the night - well, when you have four kids and some of their friends are a sibling group, you get a full fledged slumber party real quick!

As we speak I hear the chatter of five girls in the kitchen. I'm smiling because they range in age from ten to fifteen. They are all cooking supper together....homemade potato/corn chowder, pizza (frozen), fresh salsa, and chocolate chip cookies. Quite a mixture, I know, but everyone is making what she wanted to eat. Joshua joined in to help with the salsa; probably so it would be the right heat for him!

Bryce and Jenna met when they were about seven. All their lives, their mom and I have laughed because they never stop talking when they are together. They talk constantly and at the same time! I have no idea how they know what the other one is saying, but somehow they do. The funny thing is that for the past several years they really don't see each other all that often, but the second they climb into the back of the car, they start talking. They don't stop the entire time they are together. Now, they are almost sixteen and they are still chattering!

Along with the two of them is another friend of Bryce's. She is thirteen and much quieter than either of them, but she is so far still smiling, even if she has that look of someone watching a tennis match on her face!

Lyndsey and her friend are loud and squealy. You know that age with girls, between ten and twelve when they run and squeal and are caught somewhere between still being a little girl and trying to grow up.

Add to this my three little wild men - Graham and two of his friends, who, as I type are running through the yard in full military gear, including air soft guns (not loaded), shooting at the men who are up on a cable truck trying to fix my Internet/phone/cable combination. (The guns are NOT loaded - I think I said that!)

Joshua, my quiet, contemplative, home body decided not to invite anyone to spend the night with him. However, as he stands in the kitchen surrounded by five girls who are giggling, laughing, squealing, and talking, all at the same time....I'm thinking he is wishing he had called for some back up. I don't know if he thought he could hide all night or what, but so far they are keeping him out in the middle of the chaos. Anyone who knows Joshua knows that chaos is NOT his cup of tea.

Oh well, I'm sure we will all survive and get a good night's sleep tomorrow!

G'night!

No comments: