God is moving so much right now - all over the world. I'm sure He always has - moved, that is. He moved in the beginning when He decided that He would create the earth and all of us who dwell on it. I often ask myself if He ever regrets that decision. I guess He doesn't though, because He is God, so He must have known how far we would fall and how badly we would need to be redeemed.
Last night Stan and I had the privilege to meet with a young couple who live in South Africa. They work with young boys in a juvenile prison there - teaching them to read and write and most importantly, about Christ. Their long term vision involves a community of missionary families actually inviting these young men into their homes and lives full time once they are out of prison. Showing them by example what it is to live in a family. The vast majority of these boys have never lived in a traditional family. This is a huge, God-sized vision. It will be a slow process, the kind where this young couple may never actually see much fruit from their labor, this side of Heaven. It will not be a evangelistic experience, to see how many people they can get to check the "Christian" box. There is way too much of that already - in South Africa, and dare I say it - in America. It will involve training these young men, one at a time to truly live the life they claim. It will be discipleship the way Jesus did it - in small groups. Groups that eventually multiply.
That is truly the only way to truly grow any movement - by multiplication, not addition. Training godly men to reproduce and head up godly families. That is their vision for South Africa and it struck me as we prayed together last night, that should be our vision for America. There is way too much "adding" people to a roster and not nearly enough multiplying going on in American Christiandom. For way too many generations parents have been relying on church staff to disciple their children. One look at current statistics tells us that has not worked out so well. We don't need more people on a Sunday School roll book. We need more families sold out for Jesus. Families who train their children to grow up, marry, and be fruitful and "multiply." We really did not need to look so far for our answers. How sad that we have tried for so long to figure out how to "add" more people to the church (lower case c), when God told us in Genesis for Heaven's sake, that multiplying is the only way to get the task accomplished!
I listened last night to this young couple explain their vision - for "discovery" Bible studies where they teach these men that they do not need a trained speaker to tell them what God says, but that they can count on Him speaking to them if they just open up His word and read it. For one on one discipleship and "coffee" hour where the prison wardens can share their prayer concerns and praises and know that someone is praying for them. Where they can ask the hard questions and get honest answers. I listened to them explain all this and yes, I was struck by their dedication and determination to follow God's leading in their lives. To take their baby across the world, to give up the "American Dream" and follow Christ to the ends of the earth. All of that moved me and I am committed to pray for this young couple who have laid it all on the line for the sake of the Gospel.
But, something else struck me too. It struck me how very sad it is that in America, the only country in the history of the world founded on Biblical principles, that we desperately need all of these things that they were describing. We need these basic truths to penetrate our churches here. We need for people to stop relying on a "canned" Bible Study, though those do have their place, don't get me wrong - and start relying on the Word of God! We need to raise up godly men to head godly families, that will produce godly offspring - this is what multiplies into the kind of world that I want my grandchildren to grow up in.
After this young couple left our home, I prayed about how this type of ministry could be a part of our lives, whether we ever end up in Africa or not. How many people could I point toward an authentic relationship with Christ by simply investing in their lives? So many people are hurting, looking for answers in a world that seems completely crazy. And I know the Answer - to any question. No, a relationship with Christ does not guarantee that your problems go out the window, but it does guarantee peace in the midst of ANY storm, it guarantees that you have trusted in the One who has won the war. The worst thing that could happen has lost its sting.
I want to be more intentional in this area. I feel like all too often I hole up in my house because I feel a false sense of safety. I have secured for myself an environment where down to the air we breathe is purified. I say this not to my credit. It really borders on a severe lack of trust. There is a very fine line between trying to do the best I can for my family and thinking that my weak efforts are what keep us safe. There is no safety except within God's will. Whether it be in Africa or in a plush American mansion, I will only truly be safe when I follow Him. Speaking with this couple last night has made me realize that I do not work nearly hard enough spreading the seeds of Truth to those God puts in my path. I will have plenty of time to rest in Heaven and right now I would be best served by teaching my children to reach out into a hurting world and show the love of Christ to all they meet. There is quite enough of an entitlement mentality in our culture and no matter how hard we try, I see it rear its ugly head in our children - and if I want to be totally honest, in myself.
In closing I just want to say that I am committed to do a better job - both in training my children and in reaching out to those around me who are hurting. Intentional discipleship is the only way to help people along their path. Scripture tells us that where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more. I do not believe that this is an excuse to sin, as many people use it - but, I believe that it is a perfect description of our nation right now. Sin is abounding, you don't have to look far to see it. Rather than stay in my own little bubble of like minded friends where I don't have to deal with the ugliness of it all, I am determined to reach out into a hurting world, where the grace of God is ready and fully capable of abounding all the more.




No comments:
Post a Comment