
This weekend, my husband and I spent three nights in New York City with our oldest two children. I will add more pictures when Bryce finishes editing them. She is particular about what is posted on the world wide web bearing her "signature." Anyway, this is one of Stan and me in Central Park.
We have been to New York a couple of times before, so this trip was strictly for them to experience the Big Apple for the first time. On the agenda were all the things that they wanted to see - with the exception of the New York Stock Exchange - Dad can not go to NY and pass up an opportunity to tour the floor. In the end though, Joshua and Bryce enjoyed it very much.
It was amazing to have this time away with our two almost adults. I can not think that it has happened since Lyndsey was born. We saw two Broadway shows - Phantom and Mary Poppins. We toured the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We went to the Empire State Building, Little Italy, China Town, Rockefeller Center, FAO Schwartz, Macy's, The Plaza Hotel, Times Square, New York Public Library, St. Patrick's Cathedral, The Natural History Museum, and Central Park. Plus numerous subway and cab rides, and dinner with friends. Whew.....I'm tired again just remembering it all.
Which brings me to another thing. I learned several things while on this trip. One thing I learned is that "Spring" is a very loose term in New York. We picked this particular weekend, thinking that the weather would be warm in the daytime, but not hot - cool at night, but not cold. Ha! The high was 42 the entire time, with a windchill of about 35. The late nights and early mornings were about 26 degrees!! To some of you that may not be cold, but it is safe to say that I am a Florida girl!! I will have to post a picture soon of what I looked like most of the time. It might have had something to do with a white ski jacket with a fur trimmed hood - maybe kind of like an Eskimo would wear. Thankfully, my teens do not embarrass easily or they might not have allowed me to walk around with them. The flowers in Central Park were trying really hard to break through and we did see some beautiful daffodils at Rockefeller Center and a phenomenal flower show at Macy's.
Along those same lines I learned that Ugg boots are worth every stinking penny you pay for them. I realize they are pricey and it is a funny story how I came to own the pair I have because I have told my girls I refuse to buy them since we live in South Florida. However, after this trip I will NEVER again travel to the cold weather without a pair. Not only were my feet toasty warm the entire time, they were also comfortable. So even with all the walking we did, my feet never hurt and were never the least bit cold. I am a believer!
Another thing I learned is that I am most definitely NOT seventeen anymore. I like to think of myself as young. I am younger than my husband, and since I had my first kids at age 20, I am younger than most of their friends' parents. We live in a retirement community, so I am younger than most people I encounter at the grocery store or mall. However, when you are seventeen and encountering New York City for the first time, knowing you only have three days to see it all - you want to MOVE! This Mama, young or not, had a hard time keeping up. Two shows in three nights means entering a restaurant at 11:30 pm two nights in a row to eat dinner. Apparently, judging by the crowds, this is not uncommon, but it is uncommon for me. Then, pictures in Time Square at 1:00 am - also, obviously not uncommon to the other 10 million tourists who were there.
The best thing I learned on this trip though is that I have the most awesome children in the world! I know I am biased, and I'm sure all of you have awesome children too. We enjoyed spending time with Joshua and Bryce so much. Hearing them talk about any and every thing, seeing them enjoy every thing we did. Watching their eyes just take it all in. Hearing Joshua say, "Wow, that was awesome!" at the end of the Phantom of the Opera. If you don't know Joshua, you know that was HUGE! He is not usually very talkative or expressive of emotion. He LOVED the Phantom. I loved that he loved it! Bryce did too, of course and she loved everything else about the city. She is already saving and planning her next trip to visit our friends who live there.
I am so thankful for this weekend. Thankful that my other kids were happy and well taken care of while I was gone, even though Patrick is still not totally well and now has a ear infection. I am so thankful that we were able to spend this time with Joshua and Bryce. The days are fleeting away and I know that before I know it they will be adults, with their own missions from God. I am excited to see them live out those missions, but grateful for the days we still have together.




No comments:
Post a Comment