Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ransom, Dreams, Families

So many things are swirling in my head lately.  I haven't even been able to write much because I can't get my thoughts in any coherent order.

I have blogged before about our new friends here in Phoenix, the Saunders family.  Since I don't want them or you to think I stalk this poor family (even if I kind of do treat them like rock stars), I will not write another post about how blessed we are to know them.  But, I do want to link you to the story that the Phoenix ABC news channel ran last night.  Their family was chosen because of the time they have spent at Phoenix Children's Hospital with their youngest daughter Ruby.  Before you watch it, they want it clarified that while they are happy with the piece, they would have preferred their children be referred to as "special needs" rather than "not perfect."  All of us are perfectly made in the image of a God who never makes mistakes.  Also, it appears in a couple of spots that all credit for Ruby's life was given to the great care provided at Phoenix Children's Hospital.  While I am convinced it is a really good hospital and if I needed their services myself I would not hesitate to use them, credit for Ruby's life goes to God alone.  Anyway, be sure and watch this news piece at A Place Called Simplicity.

Another thing I want to share with you today is about another "bloggy" friend of mine.  Adeye, I have not yet had the privilege of stalking meeting in person, but I am plotting how to make that happen.  I love the blog world and the ease with which it allows you to connect with other people who share your passions. I admire these families so much, even if I never lay eyes on them this side of Heaven.  But, my God works out things that seem impossible.  After all, six months ago, I never dreamed our family would be able to call the Saunders family "real life friends" but now we can!  Adeye, at No Greater Joy Mom, and her husband Anthony are the parents of seven children.  Three biological sons and four adopted daughters.  Most of their adopted children have special needs, but as is often quoted, there is no real special need, other than the need for a family.  Love does amazing things to children's very souls and most of the things the world calls "problems" or "imperfections" become completely insignificant in the light of unconditional love and acceptance.  Adeye is one of the biggest orphan advocates I have ever "met."  She has such a heart for the ones forgotten.  She seems to advocate for those with the "special needs" that seem impossible, and because of her fundraising efforts, many are now home with their forever families.  One of their own daughters was rescued from a situation of almost certain death in Eastern Europe.  Now, God has revealed to them that they have yet another daughter.  Right now they are referring to her as "Faith."  Faith is in a horrendous situation, you can read about it from Adeye herself.  I am asking you today to please, please, please consider donating to Faith's ransom money.  Truly, that is what adoption is, ransoming a child - rescuing one of the least of these, sometimes from literal death, always from a lifetime of loneliness and heartbreak.  Please share Faith's story on your own blogs and Facebooks and let's help this precious family get this little girl home where she can thrive under the love and care of her forever family.  They want her so badly!!

Finally, along the same lines as rescuing orphans, I would love to ask you to pray for our family.  If you have been reading my blog at all, you know that my heart is to adopt more children.  I love, love, love Linny's quote in the news piece where after she stated that there are over 163,000,000 orphans in the world, she said, "Until everywhere we go they say you're too old, go home, then I think we will keep bringing children home."  I want our family to be known by our love.  I want to bring children home until they tell me I am too old!!  By then, I pray my children will be bringing my grandchildren home!  Anyway, I am pretty sure we are getting close to our next child.  We have a lot of mountains that need to be moved - like a house to live in, so we can have a homestudy done!  Praise the Lord, God loves to move when the mountains seem high.  I know He has a plan, I know there is a reason we are "homeless" for so much longer than we planned, and I know that I know that my baby is waiting for me somewhere.

I had a dream two nights ago.  Now, I am not saying that God spoke to me in a dream, but  I'm not saying He couldn't do that, either.  Admittedly, it is not typically the way He speaks to me.  Sometimes I have really weird dreams that I hope are not from Him.  But, recently I have been falling asleep praying for various people I know who desire to adopt, most of whom are held back by funding.  I have been falling asleep praying for our next adoption and Stan and I pray together every morning about how God wants our family to live out our calling to the least of these.  So, two nights ago, I had the sweetest dream.  Patrick is at the age where he is starting to give hugs and kisses spontaneously.  Sometimes he will cup my face in his hand and just stare into my eyes.  I could just melt!!

In my dream I was sitting in a darkened room and a child was sitting on my lap, cupping my face just that way.  I had the feeling it was a girl, but I really couldn't tell.  He or she was stroking my cheeks and I could feel the little fingers rubbing softly up and down.  A smile lit that precious, dark skinned face and it reached all the way to those huge chocolate eyes.  It felt like peace and hope and home.  It felt like we had reached a milestone of some sort.  I have always felt our next adoption would be from Africa, but of course, God surprised us with a domestic adoption when we least expected it.  My dream seemed to confirm that my next child will be African, but whether from America or Africa, I don't know or care.

I can't get the sweet face out of my head.  I could see every detail, and it makes me feel a sense of urgency, like my son or daughter is growing up somewhere without me.  I don't want to rush God's timing though, but patience is not my best virtue.  I am much more about spontaneity and rushing headlong into things, failing to think of the consequences and quite possibly missing God's best for me in the process.  Yeah, I'm not really proud of that, but it is the truth.

So, I would love your prayers that I can slow down, hear God, and listen to Stan's counsel.  Stan proved during our adoption process with Patrick that he listens to God and his personality does not allow him to get clouded by emotion like mine does.  He is much more practical and instead of seeing all the need and becoming completely overwhelmed, he thinks, prays, and seeks God for what our part is.  After all, we can only do our part. As much as I hate it when people say to me, "you can't save them all," I do know that is true.  I also know that most of the time, the people who say this are doing nothing, and they are using that trite phrase to justify their non-action.  I know I can't save them all, but God can.  If we all do our own part, the orphan crisis would not be a crisis anymore!

I am trying to listen, trust my husband, and wait.  But, as a mommy, it is hard to wait when you have seen the face of your child - and I know I saw the face of my child the other night in my dream.  Thanks for your prayers and please keep praying for Adeye and her family as they fight to rescue Faith!

1 comment:

mommyto6 said...

Praying for you and that your new one will soon be in your arms! Love your heart, my friend! Maybe God is just waiting until you get back from Naples. If the process happened right now, you may not be able to go. And even though I know your children would totally understand and be on board--you know they would be disappointed! :) So there you go..... a reason!