Thursday, June 14, 2012

Therefore My Heart Is Glad...

I got to video chat with Bryce this morning!  It was early evening for her and she was exhausted.  Even with Benadryl, she did not get much sleep on the fourteen hour flight to Africa.  She was exhausted, but so full of joy.  They had been to a children's home for children who have been adopted and are awaiting their new Moms and Dads to pick them up.  She got to meet and snuggle with some of the children we have seen on Ordinary Hero's waiting child list.  Children we have prayed specifically for who are now part of a forever family.  She particularly fell in love with a little treasure named Elijah.  He has hydrocephalus like our friend's precious daughter Ruby. You can read her story here. I could tell by her voice she would have been begging us to bring him home if he didn't already have a family. She couldn't take any pictures with the kids in the transition home because they are adopted, but soon the pictures are coming.

In truth, Bryce is hoping to be able to spot her next sibling while she is there and I am meanwhile diligently praying that if he or she is there waiting that it would happen that way.  How awesome to be able to tell him or her that Bryce, directed by the Holy Spirit, "found" him or her in Ethiopia on her very first out of the country mission trip!

As you can probably guess, I am praying almost constantly for Bryce and her team.  Of course, I want her to be healthy and safe, but I am trying hard not to make her health and safety my top priority as I pray.  Francis Chan speaks of this in his book Crazy Love.  We always say things like, "I don't care if the baby is a boy or girl, as long as it is healthy," or "I just want her to be safe and healthy while she is gone."  Please don't get me wrong, I sent her with so many pills, sprays, and oils - all designed to keep her healthy- that she could start her own pharmacy in Africa.  I desperately want my baby girl to stay safe.  But, we serve a dangerous God.  Not a play it safe, stay in your comfort zone kind of God.  He is big and wild and more about the business of holiness than happiness.  He wants to use my baby girl and me (and you) to spread the Gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth.  Those places are not tame.  They are not safe and secure.  People get hurt in these places.  People even die there - physically and figuratively.  At the very least we need to die to self to find true contentment and joy.

The past couple of days God gave me Psalm 16 and I have read it over and over.  I am going to copy it in its entirety at the bottom of this post because it is just so powerful.  I want Bryce to find fullness of joy in the presence of Jesus. It is the only place where there is truly life.  It is the only place where the cares of this world fade away and true joy remains.  I want this for all of my children.  I want more of Jesus.

Psalm 16


Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
     I have no good apart from you.”
As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
    in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
    their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
    or take their names on my lips.
The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
    you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
    in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me;
    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
    my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
     or let your holy one see corruption.
You make known to me the path of life;
    in your presence there is fullness of joy;
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

No comments: