Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 31st

I don't often have time to blog, but since today for some reason I do, I am getting all my posts out at once.

This post promises to be even more controversial than the flu vaccine one, so get ready.

We don't celebrate Halloween at our house.

Every October we get the same question, ad nauseam.  "What are you going to be for Halloween?"  Our kids are at the ages now that the three oldest are too old to be asked.  Graham is borderline, but now we have Patrick.  When someone asks him, he doesn't usually say much, or he answers "Spiderman" because he answers "Spiderman" to almost every question.  That usually satisfies the person asking because they didn't really care anyway, it just seems the thing to ask kids during the month of October.  I don't usually say anything either, despite the fact that two of my kids are born debaters and they glare at me for not cranking up a spiritual debate on the subject in every grocery store, doctor's office, or random meeting that we have during the entire month previous.  It is just not my soapbox these days.

Anyway, sometimes though, the question can't be avoided and I get someone who sincerely wants to know why we don't celebrate this holiday that becoming ever so popular in our culture.

Here is the truth of it.  I have a dear friend who is one of those friends (if you are reading, you know who you are) that just tells it like it is.  I love her for that, and many other things.  When we first met, she asked me point blank if I vaccinated my kids and if I celebrated Halloween.  I answered yes to both questions, as do most Americans - Christian or not.  She asked me why on both counts.  Why?  I remember stammering, having no real reason or logical answer to either thing except the dreaded statement we hate hearing from our children.  You know what it is.  "Every one else does."  Truly, that's all I had.

Then and there I realized that was not acceptable.  It wouldn't be acceptable from my children and it shouldn't be acceptable from me.  You know what your parents said to you when you used that one, "If every one else jumps off a cliff are you going over too?" In our culture, that is a question I am scared of the answer to.

Anyway, she challenged me to think logically on both of those things.  This post is not about vaccines, so I will leave that for another day.  When I began to think logically about Halloween though, I have to tell you that I could come up with absolutely no good reason why a follower of Jesus Christ should celebrate a pagan holiday.  Now, I am not only a believer but a true history buff, so I know that most of our holidays, Christmas and Easter alike have their roots in pagan tradition.  I am well aware and we have thought that through and we do celebrate those holidays very non-traditionally as well in many ways.  However, roots aside, both of those holidays do have redeeming value - that is for another post as well, but you have to admit they do when celebrated with the proper focus.

There is no redeeming value about Halloween.  There is no covering up the pagan roots - the focus is on evil, darkness, and witchcraft.  It just is.  Now, I know that those of you reading probably dress your kids up in cute character costumes or pretty fairies and princesses.  In our day we had a scarecrow, an angel, an astronaut, and at least one beautiful princess.  It is all good fun, you say.  And in many ways, I would agree.  Playing dress up is fun, candy is yummy, and there is certainly nothing wrong, in and of itself with either of those things - well, the candy maybe...see my previous post - but, spiritually speaking, those are fine things.

What does God have to say?

Ephesians 5:11, "Take no part in unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead expose them."

2 Chronicles tells us of Manasseh, the son of Hezekiah.  We are told that he (Manasseh) used "fortune telling, and omens, and sorcery" and he "did much evil in the sight of the Lord, provoking Him to anger."

Ephesians 6:12 tells us, "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

The first year that we decided that our family would no longer celebrate Halloween, I happened to turn on the morning news.  I don't do that often and I know that God was reassuring me in our decision.  There was an interview with a witch - they really exist you know, and the scary part is that they are not green and don't ride a broom.  This woman was talking with the interviewer and she said something that I will never forget as long as I live.  She said, "I love it when I see Christians celebrating our holiday.  It proves that they are willing to do whatever the rest of the world is doing and they don't even truly know what they believe."

I was a believer in that moment that our family made the right decision.

Since then, I have done more research and found that crime on Halloween increases by huge percentages.  I have found out that in our current state parole officers are required to personally visit each of the pedophiles on their roster in the days preceding Halloween because molestations are vastly increased on Halloween.  I have found that there are satanic cults that still practice human sacrifice and that kidnappings increase in the days preceding Halloween.  These behaviors tell me that satan ups the ante on Halloween.  He is prowling even more than normal on that night.

I know many reading will disagree with me.  That's ok.  Just think about it yourself, but be sure and think logically and with discernment.  Pray about it even.  I know many believers who think they have an obligation to "redeem" the holiday.  Go back up to the verse from Ephesians, "Take no part in unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead expose them."  I don't personally believe that wearing an innocent costume and taking your kids trick or treating is "exposing" anything.  I think it is "baptizing" it, which doesn't make it any different.  I know many believers who feel it is their obligation to be out and about handing out tracts to the trick or treaters.  I feel no such obligation.  I think my entire life is to be lived as a testimony to Christ and any opportunity that I have to share Him should be taken - no matter what day of the year it is.

As an adult, if you feel that you have a special mission field on Halloween, then fine.  I am speaking in this post about your children, and in that case I subscribe to "take no part in unfruitful deeds of darkness."  Once they are old enough to be missionaries (there is no age on that, it is just spiritual maturity), then obviously whatever God directs is what you, and they, should do.

For me it simply comes down to this.  Halloween is a holiday that glorifies witchcraft and other dark, pagan deeds.  It is not a holiday that in any way shape or form glorifies Christ or anything pure, noble, true, or right.  Even if the way you spend that evening is not dark or evil, just participating makes you involved.  We have always spent the evening of the 31st with my friend who pointed me in this direction in the first place.  The kids would play, while we grilled burgers and fellowshipped.  It was always a nice family fun night, much like many others we have spent together on any given night of the year.  We will miss that this year now that we don't live in the same city.  Our kids have decided that they want to make Rice Krispie treats and watch the Duck Dynasty marathon that is coming on TV.  It will be a fun night of laughs and fellowship as a family.  They always look forward to it and they have never ever felt like they were "missing out" on anything by not knocking on stranger's doors asking for candy.  They whole thing seems kind of creepy when you really think about it.

Now, ask me about a Fall Festival.  I am all about those - caramel apples, hay rides, and pumpkin patches.  That I can find redeeming value in!














No comments: