Monday, November 19, 2012

Adoption Rocks!!

Today, Adeye at No Greater Joy Mom is linking other blogs to share adoption stories.  She desires to get the word out that Adoption Rocks - and indeed it does!!  I learned recently that while about 30% of people claim that they have considered adoption, less than 2% actually do it.  Now, I know money is going to be at the top of the list of "excuses" but really, that is all it is.  An excuse.  God owns the cattle on a thousand hills and His heart is for the orphan.  Money is not your biggest issue.  I know that some of you have spouses who are opposed to adoption or just not ready right now and that, in my opinion, is actually your biggest hurdle.  I have been there, so I can completely empathize with you.  It is a hard, lonely place to be and my advice for you is to just keep praying and fasting for your spouse.  God is in control of that as well, and again, His heart is for the orphan.  Meanwhile, don't nag or badger, and keep supporting others as they adopt, allowing God to use you in that way until it is your turn.  It will happen.

Anyway, at least 3/4 of my blog is about adoption, and I have shared our story many, many times here.  I will share a little bit briefly for this link, but if you are interested in more about our little guy there is a link at the top of the blog labeled Our Adoption Journey and there are quite a number of links on the side bar that cover adoption posts as well.

What can I say??  Adoption rocked our world two and a half years ago.  It didn't look anything like I imagined it would.  I thought I would be one of those moms on a plane to Ethiopia, bringing home a tiny, malnourished ebony prince or princess from the African continent.  It is what I had dreamed about and still dream about.  However, God had other plans for us at that time, and as is always the case when you obey - His plans are way better than yours.  Through a series of events that could only be orchestrated by Him, three weeks after our first contact with an adoption attorney, I was holding our son.

In many ways we had the adoption that turn people green with envy.  At the time, I was so busy trying to get everything done, I didn't really appreciate how "easy" it was all coming together.  Looking back, I could not be more grateful that our first time went so smoothly.  Our son was born, not across the world, but across the country from where we lived at the time.  He was 48 hours old when they sent us the referral.  We had decided from the beginning that God would choose our baby, not us.  We did not specify race, sex, or medical issues.  I knew I could never say no anyway.  The first picture that slowly loaded on our computer screen was less than flattering, I will say that.  A tiny preemie, wide eyed just minutes after birth from the effects of drugs in his little system, with a club foot which originally went unnoticed in the craziness of NICU transfers and APGAR scores.  I glanced at the medical report, e-mailed it to our pediatrician and responded yes to the lawyer.  He was shocked.  Are you sure?

I smiled remembering an e-mail I had received from a friend literally the night before.  "For some reason, I think you need to see this" it read, and then linked me to a blog post written by missionaries in Africa.  The post outlined their son, whom they had just adopted against much advice.  They told of how his list of medical needs went on and on, not to mention his emotional instability.  They said yes anyway.  Their son had been home just a few months when they realized that all of his behavior was institutional - in a family, he functioned normally.  His medical issues one by one faded away as well in the face of solid nutrition and love.  God is good.  Even when the medical needs don't fade away, and the emotions smolder - He is still good.  My point here being that we knew it was not our place to speculate or worry about our son's future.  Here in front of us was the baby God had given us and we would love him without question.



The second I walked into the NICU just a few days later and laid eyes on my son for the first time, I felt peace wash over me like I had never felt before.  The doctor droned on about the specialists we needed to see when we got home, but it was all background noise to me.  I had an amazing pediatrician who I trusted completely waiting at home.  A man who loved the Lord and who I knew would love my son.  I also had an alternative doctor that loved my family and loved Jesus.  The medical stuff I was leaving up to them.  My intent was to get some good nutrition into his tiny body, wrap him up against me, and just love him.  That is what I did.  For ten days we stayed in the state he was born, waiting on paperwork to clear.  My husband and I held him the entire time.  We talked to him, we "wore" him, we slept with him spread across my husband's chest.  He woke every three hours like clockwork to eat and then he went back into a peaceful sleep.  His body was healing.  He had absolutely no residual effects from the drugs, no irritability, no medication had to be prescribed.  He gained weight like crazy and within a couple of weeks was a chubby, smiling infant.




The club foot was an easy fix and I shudder when I think of the statistics I read that 20% of those who find out their baby has a club foot have an abortion.  It blows me away that we live in a society that could possibly be so self absorbed.  He wore a cast on his leg for a few weeks and sleeps in special shoes at night.  His foot is not twisted, it is not abnormal looking, and he walks and runs like any other two year old.  It is absolutely horrifying to me to think that someone would actually abort their baby on this diagnosis. Oh, God, help us.

Anyway, our little guy is a delight to our family.  He keeps us laughing, and now at two, sometimes he frustrates me to tears.  Just like any other two year old.  He has changed our perspective on everything.  Our teenagers have learned that there are things in life that are truly important.  They have learned about self less love.  Stan and I have learned that you are never too old to "start over."  This little boy has changed our world.

Yes, Adoption Rocks!!!  I can't think of anything I recommend more.  Don't be part of the statistic that just thinks about it.  James 1:22 says, "But be doers of the Word and not hearers only, so deceiving yourselves."  God wants every orphan in a family.  You could be part of that redemptive plan.  It will bless you more than it ever blesses the child you get to love - that much I can promise you!!


No comments: