Saturday, December 1, 2012

Basic Essential Oils

The questions have been rolling in regarding the oils I mentioned in the last post.  Seems a lot of my Facebook friends have been looking into essential oils and wanting to learn more.  With that in mind, I have put together the basic information I learned at the meeting for those who are interested in getting started.

When you sign up with Young Living as a wholesale buyer, you purchase a starter kit.  The most commonly purchased one is the Everyday Oils Kit.  It contains 9 commonly used oils.  I am going to describe them and the basic uses for each one.

*Disclaimer - I am not a doctor and can not diagnose or treat any illness or disease.  The facts and tips I am going to give apply only to Young Living oils.  Essential oils can be dangerous if not used properly and not all essential oils can be ingested.  Almost all of the Young Living oils are safe to ingest, but we always recommend diluting the oils in a little bit of olive, coconut, or sweet almond oil for use with babies or children.

Lavender - This is a mild oil that has an almost instant calming effect.  It is great for skin issues - burns, allergic reactions, or mild dermatitis.  It can be applied directly to the skin.  It is also good to use in conjunction with other oils for a cough as it relaxes the bronchial tubes and helps promote calm.  This is a great oil for helping babies sleep and can be added to bath water.

Peppermint - We have all heard of peppermint for a cough.  Just today I heated water and put in one drop of peppermint for Graham's cough.  It tasted delicious.  The same can be done for digestion issues.  A drop of peppermint on the temples is also great for a headache.  The caution with this oil is its cooling effect, so one drop at a time is plenty.

Lemon - A great cleanser, lemon can be used for a cough in the same way as the peppermint.  One drop in hot water with a little honey (no honey for babies).  It is also an antiseptic and has worked well for acne.  Lemon smells fresh and clean when diffused into the room.

Frankincense - Yes, the oil that the wise men brought to Jesus.  Amazing research is being done with this oil for cancerous tumors.  It is great for immune boosting, flu, and it is anti-bacterial.

Peace and Calming - This is a blend of oils sold only by Young Living.  It contains tangerine, orange, Ylang Ylang flower, patchouli, and blue tansy oils.  It promotes an almost instant sense of calm.

Valor - This is another of YL's specific blends containing sweet almond, spruce leaf, rosewood, blue tansy, and frankincense.  Valor is known as the "chiropractor in a bottle" as it helps alignment.  It also promotes a sense of boldness and has been used for bed wetting with great results.

Panaway - This blend is NOT for children.  It is a pain reliever, used specifically for arthritis and other joint pain.  It is similar to aspirin.  This blend contains wintergreen, helichrysum italicum, clove flower bud, and peppermint oils.  It can be used topically directly on the painful joint or bone.

Purification - This blend is known for its insect repelling qualities.  It contains citronella, rosemary, lemongrass, tea tree, lavandin, and myrtle oils.  It can be used topically on bites to draw out the toxin or put in a spray bottle with water (10-12 drops in a spray bottle full of water) and sprayed on the skin or clothes to repel mosquitos.

Thieves - This is our signature oil blend.  Known to build the immune system and treat the flu.  You can use it as a household cleaner by mixing 10-12 drops in a spray bottle of water.  It has been proven to decrease mold spores by diffusing it in a room.  It contains clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary.

These are the nine oils that come in the starter kit.  By purchasing this kit you are entitled to 24% off of retail price.

Young Living has many other oil blends and single oils and I have lots of information about how to use them.  This is a great place to start without being overwhelmed.

If you are interested in purchasing this starter kit, the one I described is $150.00.  With that you get the nine 5mL bottles.  They are small, but you only need ONE drop per application.  I know it is tempting to use more, but these things are potent.  You also get a wholesale membership which is 24% off retail price and a 40% off coupon for a diffuser of your choice.

You can follow this link and put in my ID# which is 1390244.

I am not trying to build a business, but health and wellness is something I absolutely love to talk about and my sponsor is in the business, so I will do anything I can to answer your questions - whether they pertain to how to use the oils or to Young Living specifically.  I will also periodically post "Oil Lessons" here on my blog to help you as you learn more and more about using essential oils.

Thank you so much and feel free to leave a comment with your e-mail if you have any questions and I will contact you.

Be Healthy!!

6 comments:

Let Love Grow said...

Cool Beans. I wish i was your neighbor so i could pick your brains. :-)

For Such A Time As This said...

You can pick my brain anyway, but I definitely wish you were my neighbor!! When are you coming to visit me??

Elizabeth B. said...

I have been looking for Thieves, and I am interested in the essential oils! Would love any help! Thanks, Liz icesk8tr234@verizon.net

Elizabeth B. said...

I have been wanting to purchase Thieves, and I am interested in the essential oils. I appreciate any help. Thanks! Liz icesk8tr234@verizon.net

Let Love Grow said...

i will, but picking brains is like shelling peas on the front porch... you have no idea what's going to roll off the tongue and you end up taking home a lot more than a bowl of peas!

Let Love Grow said...

* shelling peas on the front porch WITH A FRIEND (YOU)