Saturday, January 19, 2013

Patrick, Potties, and Poop

How come all but one of my "A Day in Our Life" stories have to do with bodily functions??

Oh yeah, because we have a two year old in the house.  Enough said.

Today, I have to combine a couple of funny, or not so funny (depending on who is telling the story) things that have happened at our house in the past two days.  Really, I just don't want to forget these stories because you know I must have some embarrassing tales for Patrick's wedding day - and since I will definitely be a gray haired Mama by then - who am I kidding, I'm a gray haired Mama now - I might forget if I don't write it all down.

As I have said before on here, Patrick is in the midst of potty training.  Pretty much, he is potty trained, at least at home.  He knows where his potty is located and he never has an accident at home.  When we are out though, you just have to ask him often if he has to go because he is unfamiliar with where the toilet is located and he is busy playing and doesn't want to stop.  Typical two year old stuff.

Well, yesterday, he has just finished making his morning deposit in his potty, which is still located in our family room because - well, for no good reason, except he wants it there and I want him to stay dry, so there you have it.  He normally has his first #2 early in the morning and sure enough, there it was.  I was doing something on the computer, right next to him and I saw he had pooped.  I was planning to empty it as soon as I finished - maybe 1 minute.  Lyndsey had a painting she had completed sitting next to her on a chair nearby.  For whatever indiscernible reason, Patrick decided to run by and grab her painting.  She jumped up and took it from him.  He got mad, as evidenced by the purse of his lips and the crossing of his arms - his trademark "I'm really ticked at you" stance.  He didn't scream or make any noise at all, and I continued what I was doing and Lyndsey continued what she was doing.  She had her back to him, and I was sitting at the computer.  He walked quietly across the room, picked up his potty - which was still full - and began to "sneak" across the room, gingerly holding the sloshing mixture in front of him.  I noticed the movement in my peripheral vision and thankfully looked just in time to stop him from dumping the full potty on Lyndsey from behind.  She was one grateful girl!!!

Later in the day, Patrick got angry at me for disciplining him and he headed toward his potty again.  This time it had only pee in it (I promise y'all that I empty the thing, he had just done it).   He picked it up and I got to him in time to stop him from coming toward me with it, but some sloshed on the floor.  I had him wipe it up and then told him he must sit in time out while I mopped the floor.  He was not happy and started crying - but, miraculously, he stayed in the time out chair.  Anyway, after I mopped the floor I went in to talk to him.  I hugged him and told him I loved him but that he could not dump his potty out when he was angry.  I asked him to apologize to me.  He said, in his sweet little voice, "I sawry, Mom."  I asked him what he was sorry for (because as all of you with two year olds know, he is not really sorry at all, no matter how cute it sounds).  His response, "I sawry I was going dump potty on you head."  Yeah - NICE.

Fast forward to today.  I went with the girls to get a pedicure and Stan decided to take the little boys to the park.  They met another daddy there with his two little girls and they were flying a kite.  Patrick and Graham were thrilled to be able to have a turn.  Then, they all walked over to a nearby pavilion and Stan was having a conversation with the dad, a psychologist.  Apparently, a daddy's version of "watching" their children is different than a mommy's because somehow Stan missed Patrick pulling down his pants and depositing his daily #2 on the ground - "like the doggie does."  The little girl who was there with her dad said, "Look, he pooped" and Stan turned around to see a pretty large pile on the ground.  Needless to say, we didn't make any new friends today.  Stan and Graham used a doggie bag located at the park to pick it up and throw it away.  Maybe they should put pictures of little boys on those things!!

So, there you have it.  Just a couple of our many poop stories.  Don't cha' just LOVE two year olds?!?!

No comments: