“When a family seeks help in raising funds for an adoption, it’s not like asking people to pitch in toward a new boat, or help pay for a vacation. What they are doing is committing to heal, with God’s help, a child who has suffered the profound damage of being unwanted and unloved. They are obediently living out the command given in James 1:27 to care for the orphan, clothing the gospel of Christ’s redemption in flesh and blood and now. When they ask for the body of Christ to come alongside them financially and prayerfully, they are giving us the opportunity to be a part of the miracles God works through obedience.” -Ashley Paradis Moreno
Keep the above quote in mind, I'm coming back to it - I promise.
I truly must live in a bubble. In too many ways, I don't mind that. It is comfortable, familiar, and I typically know what to expect. Upon further examination, though, I know I should hate it - and deep down, I do. The life of a Christ follower was never meant to be safe, comfortable, or familiar. I think we all make a very, very large mistake when we allow ourselves to continue on this way.
We are meant to live a life of unbridled passion. Passion for the God who redeemed us and passion for His children. Through this passion we get a front row seat to seeing the power of the Almighty unleashed all around us. Far too often, we miss it because we choose "safe."
How utterly boring.
One reason I know that I live too much of my life in the "safe zone" is because I have not personally experienced any negative reactions from people who stick their noses into other people's adoptions and say things like, "How come when God calls you to something, it costs ME money?" Yes, I read a blog post where this was actually said by someone who was asked to help with an adoption fundraiser. Seriously?
When we adopted our little man, we were met with lots of support and love. Truly we were. I am grateful for that and so glad that hearts are changing toward the orphan. However, even though he had some minor "special needs" (a club foot) and we weren't sure if we would deal with other things down the road from his birth mom's drug addiction - the truth is, by all appearances at the beginning and by God's grace even now - he is a healthy little boy whom we adopted from birth. What if that had not been the case? What if we had adopted an older child, from another country, with significant special needs - maybe physical but maybe emotional? Maybe a child rescued from the sex trafficking industry which claims hundreds of thousands of innocent lives. Maybe a child from the American foster system - sexually and physically abused, "damaged," and broken? Would he be any less valuable? To me, his mother or to the God who loves him beyond all comprehension? The answer is unequivocally and emphatically, "NO!" Every life is valuable. Every life is worth whatever it takes to rescue it. Every soul has eternal value and nothing, nothing, nothing is "too much" or "too expensive."
Nothing.
My little man is a joy and delight. Like my biological children, he stole my heart from the moment I laid eyes on him. Unlike my biological children, I didn't have nine months to fall in love with him - I had about three days. But, oh God is so good. This child grew in my heart for years and years before he was ever conceived. God prepared our entire family to love this particular little boy. But, friends, we are no more special than you are. God is the One who knits hearts together. God is the author and creator of LOVE. He can join the heart of any family to the heart of any child. We are all broken. Broken by the weight of sin in the world we live in. Broken from feelings of rejection - whether real or perceived. We live in a broken place and here we will wander until Jesus calls us home. Why should we not wander together with the most innocent of God's creation? Why should we not spend everything we have - emotionally, physically, and monetarily - to join our hearts with the hearts of those whose biological families can not or will not care for them? Why should we not be honored to help others be able to fulfill this most worthy calling?
In the above quote, as the author points out, the person fundraising for adoption is not asking you to help them buy a luxury item or take a trip. They are asking you to be part of redeeming a LIFE! In fact, I would say, they are allowing you to be a part. God doesn't need my money and He doesn't need yours. He can raise up anyone He wants to provide the funds for adoption. He chooses to use YOU.
So, the next time someone asks you to donate to their adoption fund, remember what you are being asked to be a part of. This is no petty or silly thing. This is eternal. This is ALL you can take with you when you go. ALL that will matter in the end.
As for me, I don't want safe anymore. I don't want my life lived in a bubble. I want to live my life so that the enemy takes notice - and maybe that means that people will want to get into my business with their snide remarks. That's ok, that is just another opportunity to love. Another opportunity to watch God change hearts.
I want to truly say with all my heart. "Here I am, Lord. Send me!"




No comments:
Post a Comment