Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Update on Previous Post

I just have to briefly say how incredibly amazed I am by our dinner last night.  The quick background is this....my husband made a declaration this past Sunday that from now on our family would be "all in." (more on that later) We would be open to God's leading for our family, whatever that is.  This is the answer to a word for word prayer I have had for him for years.

From the moment (and I do mean moment) he uttered those words in prayer, the enemy slithered into our home.  My husband and I had an argument before the hour was up.  The kids began to snap at each other, and three days later, they still haven't stopped.  My respiratory junk turned into a cough the likes of which I haven't had in years.  In other words, we are a mess - physically and emotionally!!

Therefore, when we made the decision to eat beans and rice for dinner once a week, I have to admit I was expecting some resistance.  Not because my kids expect filet mignon for dinner, but because they are used to veggies (at my insistence) and a few of them are just big eaters and a few of them are picky. They didn't say anything when we made the announcement, but as they day approached I was a little apprehensive.  I cooked the beans in the crock pot all day yesterday and they did smell really good.  When dinner time came, I boiled the rice and that was it - easy, peasy.  That makes me very happy as well.  We filled our bowls and sat down to dinner.  Immediately, the two I was expecting the most resistance from took a bite and said, almost simultaneously, "These are so good.  I could eat these every single night."  Y'all, it was pintos and rice.  The only seasoning was some sauteed onion and garlic.  It was not special, it was not fancy, it was not garnished.  They each ate two bowls, rinsed their dishes and went away happy and satisfied.

I truly could not believe it.

God is good, and He does care about the little things.  He welcomes our meager and silly "sacrifices" when they are offered with a heart for the things He cares about.  I am so excited to see how He multiplies our offerings as we "struggle" through with our delicious meal of beans and rice once a week.  And hey, if they want it every night, I just might be able to make that happen!!

No comments: