Thursday, September 11, 2008

California....here we come!


I am not going to post all of my Napa Valley pictures here on my blog. If you would like to see more of them, you can check out my Facebook page. If you are not on facebook....well, what are you waiting for - it's easy, it's free, and it's a great way to keep in touch with everyone at once! Kind of like drive-thru e-mail! Wow, how lazy have we gotten? We gave up "real" mail for e-mail and now we are giving up e-mail for Facebook! Anyway, I'm guilty and I'm addicted to Facebook -- I get to share everyone's excitement all at once....what could be better?

Anyway, I do want to say a bit about our trip to California here, just to give my wonderful husband a big THANK YOU! (Sometimes he reads my blog, but he refuses to get a Facebook....he can't understand the draw!) Anyway, for our 13th anniversary, he took me to Napa Valley. It was absolutely beautiful. We stayed at in an adorable little cottage in Calistoga. Every morning our little breakfast basket just appeared on our front porch with warm croissants, warm scones, a bowl of fresh fruit, and a carafe of fresh squeezed juice. I gained 6 pounds while I was there! (I'm not kidding, I did.) It was awesome.

We visited several vineyards, tasted a little wine (ok, maybe a lot of wine), had a massage, ate in some amazing restaurants, and did a lot of driving, dreaming, and talking. It was a wonderful chance to reconnect with each other, since our lifestyle is mostly harried and crazy! Don't get me wrong, I love our lifestyle, but sometimes we need to stop, take a deep breath, and just be. That is what we did a lot of in Napa Valley - we just were.

For those of you who have read my marriage posts in earlier blogs, you know that marriage is a passion of mine - and not just because I am married. A lot of people are married, but far less are truly passionate about it. I am so excited about marriage mostly because I know that God is the healer of the broken hearted. Our marriage is living proof that He can heal any hurt. He can revive any marriage. The outcome is well worth the trouble of letting Him do His perfect work. Stan and I now have the marriage that every little girl dreams about. We had the fairy tale wedding, but when we did that, we were not prepared for the marriage. I don't know if anyone ever really is, but it is a fact that we were not.

If your marriage is rocky, please don't hear me say that ours is perfect and tune me out completely. Go back and read my four part series of posts on Marriage. Then hear me say that even now, we are happy, we are blessed beyond belief, and we are thankful. However, we are not perfect - not by any stretch of the imagination. Some days we have silly arguments that don't seem so silly at the time. We have the stress of long work hours, lots of children, and no time to ourselves. We have issues within our family that we have to work through, just like anyone else. We simply know that we have a choice. We can choose today to love or we can choose to be miserable. Finally, finally, after 13 years of marriage, we both choose love....every day. It is what God designed marriage for and it is awesome! So, thank you Stan, for our anniversary trip. Spending uninterrupted time together was so much fun. I will always remember this trip. I love you!

No comments: