Monday, November 17, 2008

It's Monday Again!




I really can't believe it is already Monday! I feel like time goes faster as we get older - didn't my mom used to say that?

Anyway......

I am not sitting here on the computer knowing that I have a missionary family from Brasil coming over in a couple of hours to stay for a week...

I do not still need to clean bathrooms and grocery shop before they arrive,

and I am certainly not thinking about leaving my house in the messy state that it is in now, just so they feel at home and comfortable.

The previous comment is not a justification for my laziness, either, by the way!

Ok, so that is just this morning....let me think about what I did not do this week...

I did not pile nine children, plus myself in my mini-van because I was babysitting for a friend and I had to take three of them to tennis lessons and the others were too little to stay home alone....no, I would never do that...it would be completely illegal - not to mention dangerous!

*Just as a side note, in all truthfulness, let me say that every child who needed one was in a car seat, safely buckled in - it was my own teenagers that I allowed to sit on the floor -- don't tell me you've never done it! Seriously, if you have never done it, don't tell me! :)

2 comments:

Lisa Thomas said...

actually i was recently looking up laws for when is the "legal" age you can leave your kids alone in florida..i was curious b/c of some crazy neighbors we have that leave their kids alone...alot. anyway i didn't find anything other than there is no specific law...????? did i miss something? send me a link to the laws when/if you have them! i'm looking to cause trouble in my neighborhood since i have nothing better to do than sit and wait for this STUBBORN baby to be born! :) ha!

For Such A Time As This said...

Hey. When I said "illegal" I was actually talking about me with too many kids in the van! :) But, in regard to your question, I asked someone who just went through a Map class to foster children and they said they were told that FL has no legal age for leaving your kids home alone. Which obviously presents problems for people with no common sense - however, for those of us who want the government to stop making laws about everything - it is kind of good! I guess you could look at it either way! :)

I started leaving J & B home alone at about 11 1/2. They were here together and it was only in the daytime. I would run to the grocery store or something. Now, Lyndsey thinks that she is old enough to be home alone at 10, but it makes me nervous, so I have never left her.

Now that J & B are about to turn 15, I can leave them all here. I don't allow them to babysit for anyone else until they are at least 12 and have completed the safe sitter course. So, currently, we have one totally qualified sitter, one of age without the safe sitter course (Joshua), one really good little mother's helper who is ready to take the class the day she turns 11 - and then we have Graham, who needs every available set of eyes on him at all times!