Monday, March 30, 2009

Health Notes -- Cough Remedy

How are you doing with no white flour?? I know how hard it is, so I'm going to give you a little more time before the next recommendation.

Today I want to give you the recipe for a cough remedy that is working like a charm around here. Graham has a touch of asthma. He has never had a full blown "asthma attack" for no reason, but if he catches a cold or if something is blooming that doesn't agree with him (that happens two or three times a year), then he is prone to wheeze and cough. Sometimes I have to use a nebulizer with "real" meds in it -- I told you I am not completely anti-medical intervention. As a side note, for anyone who uses breathing medication, I highly recommend Xopenex as opposed to Albuterol. It has been proven to work better and it doesn't spike the heart rate. Apparently, it costs more, which is why most docs still prescribe Albuterol, but it will be worth it to you to use Xopenex for your little one, it makes a big difference.

Anyway, recently melaleuca is blooming here in Florida. I can tell by my own stuffed up sinuses and Graham has a persistent cough that we can't seem to shake. Thankfully, he is not really wheezing like he typically does, just a dry cough. I decided it was time to break out the "Honey Medicine" - and after only four doses, he sounds remarkably better. This is great for children over two (never give honey to babies under two) or adults. It is particularly for a cough, but it also works for sore throats.

Honey Medicine

You can make the batch as large as you want. It lasts well in a jar with a lid, so I usually make a large batch.

4 cups raw honey
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
several large slices of fresh ginger root
about 1/4 of a large red onion

Put the honey in a glass, oven safe dish. Use the flat side of a large knife to "pop" the garlic open - do not press into small pieces, just open it up to release the flavor. Slice the ginger into thick slices and cut the onion into large chunks. Put those three ingredients into the bowl with the honey.

Set your oven to its lowest setting - about 125-150 degrees. Put in the oven for four hours. The mixture will be really warm, but should not boil. The vegetables will release their healing properties into the honey. Take out the chunks and discard (or eat). What you have left is the "medicine." It doesn't taste too bad at all, certainly better than typical cough medicine.

For Graham I give him a heaping teaspoon about three times per day - particularly before bed. For an adult or older child you could do a tablespoon. You can't overdose, but I find too much upsets my stomach. Store in a glass jar with a lid. Does not have to be refrigerated.
____________________________________________________________

Garlic is a plant with a lot of medicinal qualities. I will be talking more about it in the future. I take garlic in place of an antibiotic. It has anti-microbial as well as anti-viral properties. It is great for making poultices or just eating plain or making in a tea.

Ginger root also has medicinal properties. One thing it is good for is respiratory issues. It also draws out infection. You can place fresh grated ginger on a boil or bite and tape it in place to draw out infection.

I'm not sure what the red onion is for. The lady who shared the recipe with me said onion has some medicinal properties as well, but she is not exactly sure what they are. I figured since it can't hurt - I will stick with the recipe as she shared it.

Update
**Thanks to my real life and blogging friend at www.dancingwithmyfather.blogspot.com - I just found out that the red onion has quercitin, which is anti-histamine. So, there you go - the medicinal properties of a red onion! I have already learned something by doing "health notes" - thanks!!**

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, i am so excited to find this - we need it just now. the onion has quercitin, which is anti-histamine and maybe, anti-inflammatory? i know we took quercitin for a while for joshie's respiratory issues. http://www.ehow.com/how_4848506_use-quercetin-allergies.html check out this site for more info!!

For Such A Time As This said...

Awesome - thanks Angela for that information! I'll update my info.

Teresa said...

Shelby, how long does the honey medicine stay good for? Thank you for your posts! I love reading them, so inspirational and helpful!

For Such A Time As This said...

I have kept it for probably a couple of months in a jar with a lid. I just try to make close to what I will need, so I don't have to save it for too long. But, honey has no expiration date, so there is no reason it should go bad too soon.