Saturday, April 18, 2009

Heath Notes -- Recipes

Quick post to share a few basic recipes with you. I am asked often exactly what we eat. I'm sure this is because I am very quick to share what we do NOT eat. Remember, what I am sharing with you is the goal, we stick to it the majority of the time, but sometimes we go to Chik-Fil-A - so don't beat yourself up when that happens.

A good day at our house might look something like this:

Breakfast -- cheese omelets and whole wheat toast and fruit - I think organics are a good investment, so what I buy is mostly organic - definitely hormone free milk, eggs, and meat

Snacks - an apple or other piece of fruit or popcorn - we pop our own corn on the stove in coconut oil

Lunch - turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with raw veggies such as carrots, celery, or cucumber

Snacks - again more fruit, nuts (we keep pistachios, cashews, walnuts, and almonds on hand), or granola

Dinner - I cook simple and basic - one example is pan seared chicken (recipe below), steamed veggies, brown rice, and a green salad


Balsamic Chicken

hormone free chicken breasts or whatever you like - boneless
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
fresh rosemary

In a large deep frying pan heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil - pan sear chicken on medium low heat. When chicken is almost done, pour in between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and add a handful of fresh rosemary. Cover and reduce heat, letting the chicken cook until done.

Very flavorful dish!

Cauliflower

Sautee' 1 small onion and 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic in a little olive oil

Steam 2 large heads of cauliflower (if you can find purple cauliflower, it is great for adding color and tastes the same as white)

Put onion/garlic mixture and steamed cauliflower in a large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer, or potato masher smoosh until you get the consistency of mashed potatoes - adding a little half and half, butter, and coarse salt.

Yummy! (Even my pickiest eaters eat this because it truly does taste like mashed potatoes)

No comments: