Sunday, May 17, 2009

Health Notes - Exercise

This post is going to be short and to the point because truthfully, I can think of nothing positive to say about this aspect of healthy living!

Exercise.....ahhh, the bane of my existence right now.

Believe it or not I used to be a regular at the gym. I went every day and I even taught an aerobics class or two. That was YEARS ago. In recent years, walking is about the extent of my exercise program - that and carrying around my free weights from time to time when I feel my arms getting a little flabby. I used to like to exercise, I felt like it was a stress reliever, but I guess I have gotten super lazy over the past few years, because now I absolutely hate it. Truly, I have absolutely no motivation to do it, except that I know it is the right thing to do. I know it is good for my heart and has all kinds of other benefits and since I am all about healthy living, I feel really guilty if I continue to refuse to do what I know I need to do.

Not to mention that my husband is a maniac exerciser - and you know those calves I showed you in my last post?! Well, he is really starting to put me to shame. He exercises six days a week, and I don't mean a jog around the block - I mean twenty to fifty miles three days a week on the bike and five to six mile runs the other three, plus 1500 meter swims three days a week as well. Needless to say, I have fallen far, far behind.

I always say that if he could exercise and I could eat properly, we would be one healthy couple!!

It also really, really bothered me the other day when my back was hurting and I couldn't figure out why, so I decided to stretch a little and then realized that I was too stiff to bend over and touch my toes. I am not that old yet, friends. So, I laced up my three year old running shoes that still look brand new, and I decided I was going to jog around the block. Imagine my surprise when about ten yards up the street my heart is pounding, my chest is on fire, and I truly believe I am going to keel over dead in the street!

Seriously.

Anyway, I jogged/walked the rest of the way. This morning, though every muscle in my body is sore, I did it again. It hurt and I hate it! (Just so you know.) I have absolutely NO motivation to do this, nothing about it is fun to me anymore. I do not care if I have good calves like my husband, I do not care if I have six-pack abs.

Seriously, I can think of no goal except good health that moves me at all, and truth be told I felt much better two days ago when nothing hurt than I do today when I have sore shins, sore thighs, a catch in my hip, and an ache in my side. They tell me it gets better and I am determined to do this.

So, just know that I am with you guys in the struggle for healthy living. I may not crave the doughnuts anymore, but I am telling you, everything in me is screaming against my morning exercise routine. And the worst is coming - my hubby is getting excited about having an exercise partner and now he is insisting that I swim with him three days a week. I haven't been in the pool in years except to soak in the hot tub.....seriously, I am not looking forward to this!!!

Healthy Living!!

No comments: