It's back! The rainy season, that is.
For the last week or so the nice cool winter we were blessed with this year in South Florida has given way to HOT! The humidity has been rising, the ground has been parched and the forest fires have been raging. This morning was another scorcher, but right on schedule, around 1:30 the dog began the low rumble in her throat that she does when she senses an approaching storm. I looked out the window and sure enough, there was a nice, black cumulus cloud forming over our house. The wind was picking up and I could see leaves swirling through the air. The ground rumbled as the storm grew closer.
Suddenly, the heavens burst open and rain poured from the sky. I ran outside on the back lanai to push my potted plants out to drink. The dry earth was slurping up the water as fast as it poured down. The drain spouts on the house began to spew water out of the individual holes and huge puddles formed on the driveway. The temperature dropped drastically and we all stood on the front porch watching. Soon the cloud above our house burst and lightening flashed followed by instant booms that seemed to rattle the windows. Still the rain poured on and on.
Too quickly it was over, we really need so much more rain than we got today. It was beautiful, though. So powerful and wild, so much like the God who controls it all. I love thunderstorms. I love the pressure that builds in the air and then busts forth in all it's fury. I love the smell of the damp air after it is over and the way the sunlight glistens on every little drop of water, making things sparkle like diamonds.
Now, as I sit outside and write this, I still hear the distant rumbles of thunder and a drizzling rain is steadily hitting the ground. The dark bluish-black clouds are hanging heavy in the late afternoon sky, yet the air is still cool and the humidity is a little lower.
All of our normal outdoor activities were cancelled today, so we have been reading, playing board games, having a scavenger hunt, and watching the rain. Best of all, Joshua made a big pot of homemade potato soup. It was a great way to begin the rainy season.




No comments:
Post a Comment