Friday, September 18, 2009

Online Tutorial

Have I mentioned before that I LOVE home schooling??

Yes, even on days when bickering and squabbling seem to be the only things anyone can do. Even on the days when I question my sanity and I forget so many things that I swear I must be the youngest person on the planet to have full blown Alzheimer's. I still love it!! Love it, love it!

I love so many things about it that I can't even begin to name them. I love it simply for what it is. A lifestyle - real life - the opportunity to learn and love and live together as a family. The way I truly believe it was meant to be.

Today, I love home schooling for one more reason. Online tutorials...

Joshua and Bryce started an online CS Lewis class today. The instructor is Dr. Norman Lund. He lives in Washington State, speaks multiple languages, and is an amazing philosophy, literature, and Latin instructor. "Home" schooling is so much more than being at home, so much more than what I can teach my kids. It is about finding them the opportunities to interact with professionals from all over the world. Thanks to this blasted internet, which most of the time I detest, they are able to spend two hours every Friday learning from this amazing man of God.

He is really helping me out with my SAT prep as well. Get a load of these vocabulary words, which they will be tested on weekly. I can't even pronounce many of these words, much less define them.

-felicitous
-picayune
-peregrination
-perspicacity
-pusillanimous

That is an example of HALF of ONE week. There are ten such words weekly that they will learn for the remainder of the school year!! I really just have to say how proud I am of the way they are handling the volume of work they have this year. As a tenth grader, I am ashamed to admit that what I was wearing to the Friday night football game and what boy I might meet there took precedence over anything I was learning in school. My two oldest children are going above and beyond the call of duty for any fifteen year old. They are involved in leadership in our speech and debate group, they are taking this online class, plus Biology from a microbiologist who talks so fast and gives them so much information to learn that it makes my head spin to think about it. That is what they are doing outside of our home. Inside, we use an amazing curriculum for History and Bible and this year we are studying Church History. The books we are reading are seminary level....they are awesome, but they are HARD.

Joshua and Bryce, you are great kids -- Daddy and I are SO proud of you!

Oh, and just in case anyone reading is concerned about my children's "socialization" - tonight, they are headed to a High School Football game and then Bryce has four friends spending the night!! We are a little bit "normal" after all!!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

You are an awesome momma! My kids have been more socialized this past 4 weeks than their whole school year last year! Whew...what a blessing.