I love books! I love words....written words, song lyrics, public speaking. I am a "word" person -- you math people can have your numbers and your equations....that stuff is "Greek to me" - just give me words! (My husband and two of my children are math people, so I love you all dearly, just don't understand you!)
Recently on my Facebook page someone was sending around one of those "note" things, you know the ones that I don't usually take the time to complete, but this one caught my eye because the title was 15 Books. Book questions I must ALWAYS answer. The instructions said to make a list of fifteen books that had impacted your life in some way, but not to give it too much thought. In other words, just do it!
This was so hard for me - hard to narrow it down and really hard not to think about it. If you have been reading my blog long, you know that my motto is to think about everything! Don't do things just because others do it, don't assume that the majority is always right. I over think most things, so this was tough.
My confession here today is that I did think about it - a little. I tried hard not to, but in trying so hard, I thought about it more than I was "supposed" to. Sorry.
Anyway, since I had so many more books that I wanted to put on my list, I thought I would use my blog to make a more detailed book list -- just for you guys. Because here's the deal, it is my blog so I can make any type of list I want, I can make it as long as I want, and I can think about it as much as I like! The good news for you is that you can either read it or skip it! I will never know. So, you math people who only like numbers can feel free not to read today....but, please don't expect a list of mathematical equations anytime soon because I can pretty much promise you will never see that here on this blog.
Because, guess what?
You got it - it's my blog!!
Here is the longer version of the books that have impacted my life. I will include the fifteen from the Facebook List, just in case you are not my "friend" on FB!!
I am assuming that you are all aware that the Bible is my all time favorite book and that it has made the most radical, awesome, life changing impact on my life. In it are the very words of life! If you have not read it lately, stop reading this right now and pick one up. It will change your life. That said.......in no particular order, here are some of my favorite books.
1. Hinds Feet on High Places - Hannah Hunard - This is a beautiful allegory, powerfully written and inspiring.
2. Narnia Series - C S Lewis - I am referring to all of the books in the series, but The Last Battle was probably my favorite.
3. The Barbarian Way - Erwin McManus - This book is about a "movement" of Christ followers who want to radically live out their faith in the world we live in. It is powerful.
4. Total Truth - Nancy Pearcy -- The spiritual/secular split is what I believe causes some of the greatest problems in American Christendom. We need to view all of life as sacred. This is a MUST read!
5. The God Who is There - Francis Shaeffer - All of our faith hinges on one thing - our God is there. This book explores that fact in great detail and offers very practical ways we can live in our generation.
6. So Much More - Anna and Sophia Botkin - I did not agree with every statement in this book, but the underlying premise is that the young ladies of this generation are being shortchanged - there is great satisfaction in living within your created nature. Within women are desires that are different from men. That is good, natural, and right. The feminist movement fed our mothers a heaping plate of lies and most of them ate it all - don't allow your daughters to drink from that cup!
7. Let Me Be A Woman - Elizabeth Elliot - This is a book of sweet letters written to her daughter before her wedding.
8. Created to be His Helpmeet - Debi Pearl - This book brought me to my knees in my marriage. God used it to change my life!
9. The Heart of Homeschooling - Chris Klicka - One of my favorite books about why we do what we do.
10. Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell -- What can I say? I am from NC! The only problem is that it took me a long time to grow up enough to realize that Melanie is the heroine, not Scarlett!!
11. Uncle Tom's Cabin -- H B Stowe -- Wonderful book about Civil War History.
12. Zion Covenant Series - Brock and Bodie Theone - Great series of books about Hitler's march through Europe. It is historical fiction, but extremely accurate.
13. Don't Waste Your Life - John Piper - Easy read, but very convicting. The title says it all.
14. The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom - Beautiful true story of faith and forgiveness.
15. Sudan - Art Ayris - This book impacted me because it gave me nightmares! Based on a true story it tells in horrifying detail the plight of Sudanese Christians as they face the horrors of radical Islam!
16. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand -- I disagree strongly with the worldview of the author, but the economics of this book are chillingly familiar to our day.
17. The Cure for the Common Life - Max Lucado -- Are you living out of someone else's suitcase? This book will give you very practical help for finding God's purpose for your life. He never expected you to live any life but the one He gave you!
18. Raising Children of Character (Book 1 and 2)- Bill and Mardy Freeman - Mardy is a personal friend and mentor of mine and I love these books because I know that they live every word they write to the best of their ability and with God's grace. They have raised amazing kids who are sold out for Jesus Christ. Wonderful books.
19. The Christian Homeschool - Gregg Harris - This is one of our "classics" in the home school community, written by a pioneer. It is another wonderful illustration of why we do what we do.
20. When You Rise Up - R C Sproul Jr. -- This book is a shorter read on the topic of home schooling. Like the author it is blunt and to the point! You may be offended when you read it, but I challenge you to find anything not grounded in Scripture. I love it!!
21. This Present Darkness - Frank Peretti - This book drove home the point of spiritual warfare to me and the importance of the prayers of the saints. I pray harder every time I re-read this one!
22. Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers - I love anything by this author. She is a phenomenal writer. This is the first book of hers I ever read and maybe that is why it sticks with me so much. It is a beautiful story of broken promises and redemptive love.
23. Flames of Rome - This is another historical fiction that is extremely accurate. All of the characters are real figures in history. It is the story of the rise of Nero and the persecution of Christians during that time. Very graphic and not for young children, but a really great read.
24. Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller - I like this book because it helped me to come out of my "Republican Christian" box. I only want to be known as a follower of Christ. Don't agree with every word, but then again, there is only one Book that I can say that I agree with 100%!
25. The Weight of Glory - C S Lewis - I love anything by Lewis!!
26. Waking the Dead - John Eldredge - This is a wake up call for those of us who follow Christ.
27. Beautiful Girlhood - This book helped me prepare my daughters to be ladies. Old and wonderful book about Biblical womanhood.
I really could go on and on....as home schoolers we have read so many many good books together over the years using Sonlight Curriculum. I hardly named any of those....books like Johnny Tremain, Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, Understood Betsy, The Wheel on the School. Missionary stories like Rebekah's Diary, The Cross and the Switchblade, Peace Child, and Bruchsko.
These books have changed my life as has the time I have spent snuggled up on the couch with my kids reading them. We have laughed, cried, and protested. We have traveled to faraway places and fallen in love with the characters in the pages.
I hope this list will at least give you a starting place in your own journey of reading. If you have time, please share a few of your favorites with me!!




No comments:
Post a Comment