Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I blew it!!

Do you ever feel like you blow it in the witnessing department?

Today, I blew it. I felt the weight of it hit me the second I walked out of the store and I knew God had given me an opportunity and I had missed it!

I hate it when that happens, and sadly I am afraid it happens all too often.

I went into Publix (the grocery store) today to buy some cheesecloth because I am making some herbal tinctures and I need to strain them. I will have a future post on the tinctures. Anyway, all I was buying was a couple of packs of cheesecloth, which isn't very expensive and I happened to have some cash - I NEVER have cash - so, I went through the express line.

The total was just a couple of dollars and I knew it should be about $8, so I told the lady she had not charged me enough. The cheesecloth was in the bag, and yes, I could have walked out with it. She would not have known, the man behind me would not have known, and I was alone, so my kids would not have known.

I am not bragging on myself, please do not get me wrong, I do plenty of things that are not right, but theft has never been a temptation of mine. I walk back into the store to return a dime too much change to someone. I just don't have any temptation to keep something that is not mine. Besides, I believe with all my heart that Jesus is there -- all the time. He would have known.

There was an older gentleman behind me and he was standing a little close - kind of in my personal space actually, now that I think about it. Anyway, he saw the exchange and said, "Wow, that was very honest of you."

I just kind of smiled. He said again, "No, really, you didn't have to do that."

Here should have been my clue. God saying, "Shelby, I have laid this man right here, all you have to say is something, anything about Me."

Did I do it??

No - I blew it!! I just smiled and mumbled something about how I try to teach my kids to be honest and they are usually there watching me and nodded good-bye to the clerk.

Yes, I do try to teach my kids to be honest, but why? So they can feel good about themselves - of course not. I teach them to be honest because it is the right thing to do and some things are absolutely right! Like honesty. Am I honest in and of myself? No, left to my own devices I am weak and cowardly -- obviously!!

The second I left the store I knew I should have told this man the real reason behind my honesty.

The grace of God and the love of Jesus. Period. In and of myself I am nothing and I have no power to be good apart from Him.

I find all too often that I let witnessing opportunities pass me by. Why, I truly do not know. I love my Savior more than life itself. I am not ashamed of Him - I would die for what I believe about Him. Why then do I watch a dying world pass me by and not take every chance I have to share the gospel?

I can't answer that - but, I can assure you, I am committing it to prayer. I am praying that next time God gives me a chance to talk about Him, I will not watch it walk away.

No comments: