Wednesday, October 21, 2009

unChristian



What do YOU think of when you hear the word "Christian?"

If you knew what most people think of, you may decide that you don't want to be called one.

I think I have decided that I do not.



On pg. 26 of this wonderfully written book, chock full of polls, stats, and quotes from people who do not believe in Jesus Christ as the Way, the Truth, and the Life, it says this, "Most people I meet assume that Christian means very conservative, entrenched in their thinking, anti gay, anti choice, angry, violent, illogical, empire builders; they want to convert everyone, and they generally can not live peacefully with anyone who does not believe what they believe."

Whoa!

Further down on the same page is this statement, which I believe is HUGE!!! "Christians are primarily perceived for what they stand against. We have become famous for what we oppose, rather than what we are for."

Do I really want my relationship with Jesus to be reduced to a connection with all the ills of society that I am against?

I do not.

Is it true that I am against the sin of homosexuality? Yes, it is. It is also true that I am against the sins of lying, of cheating, and gossip. I am, in fact, just as much against the latter sins as I am the former one!

The bigger question is this - is my relationship with Jesus Christ about a list of what to do and what not to do? And my answer is emphatically - NO!! That would make it a "religion" and I abhor religion. If Christianity has become nothing but another name in the melting pot of religions, then I do not want to be known as one. My relationship with my Savior is real and personal. Jesus Christ did not have to die to form a "religion." Humans throughout the ages have had no trouble forming those all on their own.

The book of John says this about Jesus,."In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

Having a relationship with Jesus Christ is not about following rules and regulations. It is not about the things of this world that I do not agree with. It is about walking in the Kingdom of Light.

1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light"

My "job" is not to make sure that a lost and dying world relates Christianity with a list of "thou shalt nots." My job is to shout from the rooftops to a lost and dying world that my God reigns! That He has called us into a Kingdom of Light and Life. Real, true Life - that will shake the very foundations of all you have ever believed to be true!

When did the church begin to be known for what we oppose? I am actually studying that right now and though I don't have time in this post to lay out all the dates and time frames, suffice it to say that Paul was right when we said in his letter to Timothy, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The church today is reeling from the "many sorrows" we are pierced with due to the love of money and power. Lord, may that warped mindset stop with me!

I do not want people who do not know Jesus to look at me and see someone who insists on being "right" - who insists on telling them what to do. If that is what Christianity is about, all we have is a checklist of "right" and "wrong" and people willing to check the right boxes. That is a religion and it will bring no joy - not here on earth, and certainly not in eternity.

The question I am struggling with lately is why? Why do we as "Christians" expect those who do not share our faith in Christ to behave as if they do? I do not behave as a Buddhist, because I am not one. I do not care what Buddha teaches, even though some of it may be very good. By the same token, those who are not Christians do not know what Jesus teaches and they certainly have no obligation to care! Why then do we continue to hold unbelievers to the standard of Scripture. They are incapable of behaving like something they are not!

I submit to you that this is the reason we are seen as angry empire builders who are incapable of getting along with anyone who does not share our beliefs; and I, for one, do not want to be seen as an angry anything!

I want to be known, not for what I am opposed to, but for what I am in favor of! Let me tell you a few things that I am in favor of......

I am in favor of Love. True love. Not love that "tolerates" but love that changes lives. Love that pours out and sacrifices, love that endures. Love of family and love of friends, both old and new.

I am in favor of Truth. The Truth that breaks the chains of bondage and sets men free.

I am in favor of Life. All of life is beautiful and sacred, from conception to the last breath of the elderly. I am in favor of olive shoots around my table and arrows honed to a fine point - ready to dispel the darkness. Abundant life is what my Savior offers, life that goes on and on throughout eternity.

I am in favor of heavenly marriages. Marriages ordained by God Himself to show the picture of Christ and His Bride. Marriage between two people who are committed to honor Him, to be fruitful and multiply, and to raise their children as the next generation of warriors for Christ.

I am in favor of Humility. It is not within my power to save anyone. Only God draws a sinner unto Himself and only He can save. Yes, beautiful are the feet of those who bring Good News, but I am only the messenger. There is nothing within me capable of granting salvation and there is no name besides the name of Jesus by which man may be saved. (Acts 4) I am in favor of serving others and in doing so showing them the love of a Savior who came, not to be served but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many.

Do I expect to be respected and loved for these things that I am in favor of? No, in fact, I expect to be hated.

Jesus said, “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you."


I have no expectations that my faith will be accepted by everyone I come in contact with. However, I do NOT want to be known as illogical, violent, and angry. I want to be known for the love I poured out to all whom God puts in my path. I pray that all who look at me will see someone, once condemned and now walking in marvelous Light!

No comments: