The other night my husband and I were at Starbucks, alone. That is a monumental statement, in case no one noticed....ALONE!!
Anyway...
The store was decorated for Christmas (if I wanted to be politically correct, I would say the "holidays," but most of you know by now that I have NO desire to be politically correct). There were several signs in the windows with cute sayings on them and one sign said, "I wish adults could remember what it was like to be a kid."
When I read that sign I tried to really think about that statement. Do I remember? The excitement that builds as Christmas approaches, the anticipation of what will be under the tree on Christmas morning? The traditions that are unique to each family, special and cherished? Do you remember?
Here are a few things I remember....
I remember shopping with my Papa every December. He took my sister and I, one at a time, starting at age three and ending only when I moved to Florida at 22 years old. We drove about an hour away to the nearest mall and he let us buy gifts for everyone in the family; anything we wanted to buy! Over the years we gave my Mema (his wife) rubber duckies for the bath, stuffed animals, and more kitchen gadgets than anyone could use in a lifetime. Papa loved kitchen gadgets and he loved buying things for his family -- usually things that were totally unpractical and childish - like a gallon paint bucket filled with bubble gum! When Christmas came around, my Papa remembered what it was like to be a kid. Mema died 5 years ago and Papa followed her just 18 months later. I miss them so much, and especially at Christmas.
I remember Christmas breakfast. My mom cooked sausage and egg casserole, grits casserole, mounds of bacon and toast and our grandparents came over to see what Santa brought. My mom and dad love Christmas, too, and I always felt like the most special little girl on the planet that morning.
I remember all the Christmas goodies my mom baked. She would start early in the month of December, before school was out and every day I couldn't wait to get home from school to see what new goodie she had in the cabinet. There were always nutty fingers, peanut butter balls, party mix, velveeta fudge and date nut balls. Over the years she tried different things, but those five always made the cut!
I remember the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas. Sleigh bells in the background of every song on the radio and the smell of a wood fire burning always make me think of Christmas.
Now, we live where it is Spring or Summer all year round, a day like today, in the 50s is about as "cold" as we get, and this "cold spell" will only last a day or two. Christmas is different in the tropics. There are no wood burning fire smells, unless you buy a candle. Sleigh bells still play on the radio, but when you are headed to the beach in your bathing suit, somehow it just doesn't have the same effect! My kids will have different memories of Christmas than I do, but I hope they will be just as good. Maybe mine will remember eating Seafood on Christmas Eve - complete with lobster and stone crab claws. I hope they remember attending our church's Christmas Eve service and the way the eyes of the residents light up when they do their Christmas presentations at local nursing homes with their speech club. Much of our shopping is done online, but, we usually hit the mall for a round or two and a steaming cup of Starbucks white chocolate mocha at least once during the season. I hope they will remember the way we get together with our friends when all the recent grads are home from college for potluck and swing dancing in the driveway.
So many memories that I have and that I am making with my kids. As this beautiful season approaches, take some time to slow down and remember....it wasn't so long ago that you had the faith of a child.




No comments:
Post a Comment