Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hurry Up and Wait.....

That is pretty much where we are now in our adoption process. The "pregnant" part. This could be the shortest pregnancy in history or the longest - there is just no way to know. I do feel kind of like I am pregnant actually - excited, nervous, terrified, grateful, and more than a little nauseated. Exactly the way I felt every time I found out I was carrying a child.

We had our home study last Sunday. We found out on Thursday night that the social worker, whose name is Dr. Knickerbocker, was coming on Sunday afternoon. Stan was too busy dredging up memories of old Barney songs to help much, but the kids and I rounded up some help from some very dear friends and spent Friday clearing out! It felt really good to point Joshua and his friend Caleb to the garage and the car and simply say "clean them out." They are old enough now not to need me to stand over them, and in a couple of hours their jobs were complete. Meanwhile, Bryce and a friend of mine decided to tackle Bryce's room. I did not take any "before" pictures and I am not a talented enough writer to give you a visual picture of her room. Suffice it to say that we have been talking about redecorating for a while, moving furniture around and then stopping mid-way because we get too busy with school and other things to finish, so it has all just piled up. They worked an absolute miracle in there!

Lyndsey and her friends had two jobs. The school room and the dog. The school room was a breeze compared to the dog - let's just say she does NOT appreciate a good bath! I asked them to bathe her outside because it was a beautiful, sunny day and I didn't want the bathtub full of dog hair. There were three girls, and they decided that one would hold her, one would soap her, and one would squirt her with the hose. Well, our English Bulldog doesn't look too smart, but she knows a water hose when she sees one. Suddenly, I hear shrieks and see a streak of white trailing bubbles run by the window and three girls in bathing suits in hot pursuit! Our bulldog normally doesn't exert enough energy to run, but she was running a soapy streak to get away from that water hose. Of course, I had to go help and between us, we managed to get the dog sufficiently clean.

I cleaned out my bedroom closet and Graham's room while he entertained the younger siblings of all of our helpers. All in all, Stan was very impressed when he got home. So much so, he asked the social worker if he could just stop by on a weekly basis to keep me on my toes!

Anyway, Dr. Knickerbocker showed up on Sunday and did not even ask to look in my closets or drawers! I was a bit disappointed I have to say. He asked us a lot of questions, took a lot of notes, and chatted a bit - then, he was gone.

That simple.

Bryce did a fabulous job on our Family Profile. I wrote the letter, but she formatted it with pictures and captions and it turned out beautiful. That is the booklet that the birth mom will use to choose us as the family for her baby. That is turned in, our forms are notarized, and we are only waiting for our background check to clear from the Sheriff's Department. Since we know our attorney personally, and she is fairly certain we are not criminals, she approved all of our paperwork yesterday and began to pursue her contacts in finding birth moms who have applied to put their babies up for adoption.

Now....we wait.

I have heard many stories of adoptive parents getting the call in days, many in weeks, and some in months. The attorney said that since we did not put any specifications on race or gender that the process should go fairly quickly. I am going to try to keep my family members and out of town friends upraised on our progress here on my blog, so I am sorry if my posts are a little detailed and straightforward for a while. I'm trying to think philosophically, but remember, I'm "pregnant" now, so my brain cells are not really functioning at full capacity.

Thanks again for your continued prayers.

No comments: