

I think it is high time I admitted that the time has come to begin our college search. Truly, I must admit, I have been in denial about the whole process. Homeschooling our children, I always thought that when the time came for them to fly away I would be super excited for them to begin the next phase of their lives. After all, practically 24/7 of the past 17 years, we have spent together. We have learned, laughed, played, and even argued - together.
I have no regrets.
Well, I should rephrase that. I have no regrets about the time spent together. I have learned plenty while raising my "guinea pig" first borns mostly about how inadequate I am as a mother and a teacher. There are plenty of things I planned to do that never got done, plenty of days I wish I had not been so short tempered and just enjoyed life a little more. I certainly did not do everything right, but all in all, I have no major regrets. We have spent so much time just being together. Talking, laughing, and learning. I cherish the hours on the couch reading books, the time making projects and crafts. The tears we shed over math lessons. All of these things have a place in my heart that will I will forever cherish.
Now, however, they are no longer babies. They may always be my "babies," but actually my son stands 6'1" and can lift me over his head if he wanted to. My daughter and I share clothes and makeup and all that stuff you think about when they are little girls. She is my friend now. I love them both so much and I am so proud of the choices they have made so far in life. I know their college choice will make us happy as well, because they are searching for God's will in it.
They went to one campus preview earlier this year, but that is about all the searching we have done. Now, however, applications must be in by the end of this calendar year, so it is time to MOVE on this. The good news is that their SAT scores are phenomenal. I will admit, they blew me away! Don't get me wrong, I know they are brilliant, and I give all the credit to God for that. They have far surpassed their teacher in intelligence. They have read more books that I have ever scratched the surface of, and I am an avid reader. I knew the information was there, in their brains. What they haven't done is take standardized tests - EVER! In our state, evaluations are required for homeschooling, but not standardized tests. Since I think those tests are pretty much a waste and I refuse to teach towards them, we have never done them. I stand by my convictions on that and I won't do them with the younger ones either. I was afraid though that this lack of experience would affect their scores, so we signed up early in the Fall for them to take the SAT for the first time. Since they are juniors, I figured that the first test would be practice and then they could take it a couple more times to get their scores where they wanted.
They blew it out of the water!! Both of them scored in the top 20% of even the most academicly rigorous colleges that we can find. They have areas they want to improve in, of course, since they are first born perfectionists, but with the scores they got, they should not have any trouble getting in anywhere.
If I sound a little proud, it is because I am. They have worked hard over the years and I think these scores really helped them boost their self esteem a little bit. You see, with homeschooling there is not always a great standard to measure success. They get some grades now that they are in high school, but for the most part, you are competing against yourself. Sometimes that is the hardest of all, because you never seem to measure up to the standard in your head. They never feel quite like they did the best they could do. If I'm honest, I have to admit their scores didn't hurt their teacher's self-esteem either! As a homeschool teacher/mom, you don't always feel quite like you measure up, either.
Of course, for us, academics have not always been our top priority. Our main goals are to raise children who walk with Jesus, in integrity and Truth. No amount of math or english can trump that. We only want them to become what God has planned for them - nothing more, but nothing less either. He knows the plans He has for each of our children and our goal is to help them along His path, never our path!
As we begin our college search, I am thrilled that both of them want to attend solid, evangelical schools. They want peers who build them up and professors that they can trust and have deep theological conversations with. They see no need to waste precious time on the drivel that most of our higher learning institutions in America call education. They know what they believe, and you can be assured it is not because they have not had a choice. Contrary to popular belief, we homeschoolers do not lock our children in the house and force them to believe what we believe. They know what others believe and they have made their own decisions about Christ, about politics, and about any other controversial subject you can think of. They are not naive or ignorant in the ways of the world. They choose to come out from that and be different.
The problem is that so many of the supposed "christian" colleges and universities in our country have compromised their mission. We are having a hard time finding a school that holds fast to solid, Biblical principles. Like most of the American church, these schools have let the darkness creep in, little by little. Usually beginning in the science and english departments and soon spreading, like a malignancy throughout the campus environment. Thankfully, there are solid schools left. Schools that know that God can stand up to any "academic" questions you can throw at Him. His Word is either true or it isn't. We encourage our kids to ask the hard questions. He can take it. The schools that realize this are thriving and their students are competing in the world in every area from politics and science to literature and education.
Sadly, to me though, due to this compromising, my kids will likely not be attending college in our backyard. We have friends with kids all over the country, and even the world. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City and England to name a few. Currently, we are planning a visit to Wheaton College in Illinois and I'm sure the Bible Institute of Los Angeles is on the list as well. Wherever they go, I am content in knowing that they will not go anywhere unless they are sure God has directed them, and if they go under His authority, I have no worries - all will be well.
I'm so proud of the young man and young woman you two have become. I love you!




3 comments:
Yeah!! God bless you and your "young adults" in this new endeavor!!!
Hey I just wanted to warn you about compromising schools, Wheaton does teach evolution and has a Communist teacher. Just thought I would throw that warning out there if you are looking at that school. I am not saying its a bad school at all.
Thanks for the warning, I have heard that they were compromising in some areas and we have not really looked too deeply into it yet. Will definitely search that out, as our son will likely be some type of science major. Thanks again.
Post a Comment