Over the years I have found many blogs that I love to "follow." Some from people I have never met like McKMama, Kelly's Korner, and Bring the Rain to name a few. Some from personal friends - Mrs. Doulamom and Dancing With my Father. Blogging is an interesting world - heck, it is an interesting word that five years ago I would not have been able to define for you. Bloggers are serious about this virtual world they have created and people feel free to comment whatever goes through their heads. Some blogs seem to gain "fame" overnight - the ones I read that are the most "famous" got that way through a tragedy that befell their family and their blogs passed almost virulently through cyberspace as they asked for prayers for their little ones. This is probably the biggest reason that I love the blog world. I love that you can get information to a large number of people instantly. Prayer requests, ways to offer assistance to those who are suffering or in need of encouragement. I love that.
I have "met" and had conversations with people from all over the world. People that I now swap e-mails with and that I would love to meet one day. People that I have things in common with, whether it be home schooling, mothering, adoption, our relationship with Jesus.
You may have noticed of late that most of the new blogs I have added to my sidebar of favorites pertain to adoption. Not surprisingly, adoption is something I am extremely passionate about these days. I have always been passionate about it, but it is hard to advocate for something you have never done. Now that I have become a part of this world there is no turning back. Now that I know how many orphans there are in the world, now that I have looked into their eyes. Another thing the blog world can do is put you up close and personal with these faces. When people travel to other countries to get their children, they take pictures of the others that are waiting. Many of the agencies have "waiting child" lists. When you gaze into those eyes and you see the lost look and you know that all they want is love. All they desire is a family to want them. It becomes almost consuming. Daily I have to give it to God or it crushes me. I want to bring them all home with me - every one I see. I know we have enough love. What we don't have enough of is hours in the day, space in the house, room in the car, energy in our bodies.
However, together we can. Together, the body of Christ could provide for these little ones.
"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.” Matthew 10:42
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40
I know that adoption is on God's heart. I know that He has called out families to take these little ones and love them. I know that He has put certain countries into the hearts of His people. Countries that you just fall in love with the minute you see pictures of the landscape, much less the children.
For me, I am passionate about both domestic and international adoption. Domestic because our sweet baby boy was born here in the United States. I see what happens to these children who grow up in the foster system in America. I think our foster system needs to be inundated with believers because there are children growing up in horrific situations in our system. I also know that there are families, like our friends the "R" family who love on their foster children and show them a beautiful picture of Christ's unconditional love for us. There needs to be more foster parents like them. I shudder to think of where my sweet baby would be today and where so many like him are right now.
I am also passionate about Ethiopian adoption. I don't know why God put Africa in my heart, but He did. Years ago He did. The domestic adoption completely snuck up on us. I never expected it, but God knew. He knew that this precious little boy that we can NOT imagine our lives without belonged in our family. Patrick is perfect for our family in every way. His smile lights up my day. I know, though, that there is a child or two in Africa waiting for us. We recently requested the waiting child list from one of the adoption agencies we are considering and I flip through those pages every day. Searching their eyes, asking God "Which one?" Will we know or should we just apply for a referral? We just haven't heard from Him yet to tell us exactly what we are supposed to do. It won't be long though. Our kids are beside themselves. They also think we should take them all. They know we could love them.
I think that the church should take them all. I think that we have an obligation to the least of these. I think God is probably telling you something about orphans. Please, ask Him what it is.
Check out my newest "favorite" blog - Ordinary Hero. Get yourself a shirt or two while you are there. I am also collecting cloth diapers to go to African orphanages. As people travel, their suitcases are crammed with diapers. Let me know if you want to contribute and I will e-mail you my address. If you are local, you will be hearing soon about a "diaper shower" my girls and I are going to host. I will keep you posted.




No comments:
Post a Comment