He is a lot more patient than I would be. Which is why it is a darn good thing that He is God and I am not.
The New Deal I am referring to is being implemented in our home. My children have become out of control in attitude and behavior. Yes, it's true. My children. The ones with the angelic faces on the top of my blog. Those children.
I have shared before the spiritual attacks that we have been under since we adopted P. I have also shared that we are in the process of praying about another adoption. This is my heart. To raise warriors for Christ - as many as our home can hold. The problem is, my husband is a lot more practical than I am - which is a good thing. He sees how I am affected by the sheer work that goes into getting a family of seven moving in the same direction. Keeping us at least semi-clean, educated, and fed. He sees that recently I have become bitter and resentful. Not enjoying my role as mom and teacher at all. My "this was supposed to be fun" attitude is not good for anyone. I know that motherhood is not all fun and games. And I know for sure and for certain that home schooling is not. Most things worth having are not easy, so it goes without saying that there will be obstacles to raising warriors for Jesus.
Well, we have run into quite a few of those obstacles recently. Not only is spiritual warfare a factor, but our own flesh is dragging us down as well. We have resorted to attitudes of entitlement and playing the victim. Not just the kids - me too. I am sick of hearing myself say how sick I am of no one helping me around the house.
So, today we (Stan and I) decided to implement the Character Challenge. I just made that name up. However, the basis for it comes from my dear friend and mentor Mardy. She wrote two books called Raising Children of Character, which I highly recommend. She has successfully raised seven children of impeccable character. If I did not know her so well and if I had never spoken at length with her about the challenges she has had, I would be tempted to look at her seven, amazing children - six godly sons and one godly daughter and I would think that I should just give up. Her children are just too perfect. Ha. The good news is that I do know her well and I have spent long hours crying my heart out to her and we have spoken at length about some of her challenges. Here's a newsflash! Her children were not born perfect - nor are they perfect now. What they do have is a living and active relationship with Jesus and they have parents who have guided them well along the path of life.
That is my heart's desire. That my children walk with Jesus, all the days of their lives. Right now I feel as if we have veered off the path. My older children definitely have a personal relationship with Christ and I have no doubt that they "get it." Somehow, though we have all gotten in a rut. We are snappy with each other, we are resentful, we do not have attitudes of honor towards the other members of our family. Therefore, since these are drastic issues to us and a direct assault on our family goals, we are taking drastic measures.
Schooling will be at a minimum for the rest of the year and work will be at a maximum. Nothing builds character like sweat!! At least that is what I have been told. I was also told by another dear friend that when her kids were younger and refused to be respectful, then they had to go out in the yard and dig holes. At first that sounds like fun, but remember we live in Florida. Digging holes eight hours a day gets quite tedious - not to mention HOT! However, the rationale of this family was that if you can not show respect to authority, you may well end up digging ditches for a living, so you may as well get used to it early on. Makes sense to me.
We have come up with a work schedule and a list of things that need to be done. So far, there are no holes to be dug on the schedule, but we will see. By the end of this, I should have sparkling pantries, clean closets, a garden - and if all goes as planned, obedient children who have learned that working side by side as a family is God's best plan.
Your prayers are appreciated. The first week will likely be the hardest - for all of us.




4 comments:
thanks for your comment..and yes, you may use our video..we love seeing it used to spread the word of adoption...thanks for asking..your family is beautiful..take care, kristi
Well I would love to read that book! Sounds like your enemy is my enemy too :) Prayers lifted for you and your family and if you can shoot some advice over yonder, I would be grateful.
Love ya!
Teresa
Thank you for being so real Shelby, I love your heart. I am so in awe that I have Godly women (real, struggling and saved women) who are further along the parenting journey than me.
All I want (and truly this is above education, jobs etc) for my children is to love and know Christ. That's it. And my focus is on that one goal.
So I look forward to seeing your journey in this new "work" area and I will be cheering you on from this little island in the sea!
I have a copy of the book T - you are welcome to it. Mardy is a phenomenal lady, my mentor and dear friend. She lives in Gainesville.
Thanks Sammy - don't watch me too closely, I stumble ALL the time!
Thanks Kristi - I will post it!! Love your family as well!!
Post a Comment