

What is it about babies? They just bring a smile to your face. Even the hardest hearts seem to soften at the sight of a newborn baby. That soft skin, those lips, and the look of pure innocence just does something to you.
It makes you do things that don't seem to make sense to the world. Things like my friends J & K just did. Pack up their family, spend thousands of dollars, and travel across the world to Cambodia just to get a chance to look their baby girl in the eyes, hold her in their arms, kiss her sweet face. I wish I could post her precious picture, but I haven't asked their permission.
My heart is breaking for this couple, because now they have held her, kissed her, smelled her and they had to LEAVE her across the world. A continent away someone else is rocking their baby girl to sleep tonight. It just shouldn't be this way. Not when they love her so desperately. Not when she has a Mommy and Daddy, a brother, two sisters and so many others who love her so much.
I love their hearts and their spirit though. They know that God has a plan for this little girl, they know she belongs to them and they are resting in His timing and His providence. You see, Cambodia is a country closed to adoption right now. There is no way to know when they will get to bring their baby girl home. She may well not be a baby anymore when it happens. Until then, they are committed to traveling back and forth to visit her, loving her, praying for her, and ultimately leaving her in the arms of Jesus - who loves her more than they do.
Since I have adopted a baby, I can relate to the "desperately in love" part of how they feel. I can relate to falling in love with a picture and then immediately and completely head over heels once I laid eyes on my baby boy. I can relate to praying without ceasing for this life, even before I knew he existed. In fact, well before he was even conceived. What I can not, in the depths of my heart begin to comprehend is being forced to walk away. If I do adopt from Ethiopia one day, then I will be able to fully comprehend their pain, because Ethiopia requires two visits - one for court where you spend a week with your child and then leave to return for him/her a month or so later. I have heard from others, and can well imagine that will be the hardest day of my life. My friends have experienced this pain just days ago and I am praying earnestly for them. I know they would appreciate your prayers as well.
Their baby girl is a world away. In a place where they can not get to her quickly. They can't physically protect her and they do not know when they will be able to bring her home. Their hearts are broken, but their spirits are not crushed, for they know the Author of life. The One who knows the plans He has for this little girl. His plan is for her good and He has brought this family together. I know how blessed she is to have them for her parents, but I also know how she will bless their lives in ways they can not even imagine right now.
J & K, you are in my prayers daily until your baby girl is here - where she belongs and where we can all love on her.
"Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation." Psalm 68:5




No comments:
Post a Comment