Friday, April 15, 2011

Show Us Your Life - Books


This is what I am currently reading. The eight set volume of James Harriot's memoirs. James Herriot was a veterinarian in Yorkshire in the early 1900s. These books describe his many adventures as he tooled around the countryside tending to farm animals, dogs, cats, and an occasional bird or two. They are good, wholesome reads to be enjoyed by all ages. He also wrote a beautifully illustrated children's book all about animals.

I am an avid reader. I love words. I have been known to read the back of a shampoo bottle if it was all I had within reach. Even with five kids and a super busy life, I can not stop reading. I could sooner stop breathing. I love inspirational fiction, non-fiction, magazines, and as I said a shampoo bottle here and there! Books come alive to me and I am there. I live with my characters throughout their adventures and when the book (or the series) is over I feel as if I have lost someone in my life. I truly grieve the end of books. I'm weird, I know.

The main reason I am reading James Herriot right now is simply because it is simple. It is reminiscent of a time and place where I know my children will never live. A time when things were simple. When people had time to "visit" and husbands and wives sat by the fire on cold nights and played cards. A time when life moved slowly. I feel like my childhood was a little bit of that before things in our world just got so techie and fast. I grieve that my children will never know a simple life, unless they purpose to choose one. I pray they do. Sometimes reading heavier things just weighs on me and I need to go back to the slower pace. The Herriot books are perfect for that.

I could never in one post record all the books I love, but I will try to list some you might enjoy. In the fiction realm, my all time favorite author is Francine Rivers. I love all of her books, but Redeeming Love is my favorite. Followed closely by the Voice in the Wind trilogy. I don't often read books over and over, but these four I have read multiple times. I also love Brock and Bodie Theone. They write amazingly accurate historical fiction. Their series the Zion Covenant is a phenomenal account of Hitler's rise to power. I think there are nine books in the series and it was hands down the best history lesson I have ever had on World War II. I have also enjoyed many fiction books with our children over the years as we have home schooled them. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, Johnny Tremain, Understood Betsy, and The Wheel on the School come to mind. As do many of the classics like Pride and Prejudice, Robinson Crusoe, and Pilgrim's Progress.

In the non-fiction genre I love so many that I can not hardly think of just a few to name. The God Who is There by Francis Schaeffer, The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer, Radical by David Platt, Crazy Love by Francis Chan, anything by CS Lewis, More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowall and The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus. I could seriously go on and on.

I also can not fail to mention the many exceptional books I have read on the subject of home schooling. Since this is how we have chosen to educate our children, I have obviously spent a lot of time reading an studying on the subject. There are a few "classics" in home schooling that have helped and encouraged me so much along this path. The Heart of Homeschooling by Chris Klicka, When You Rise Up by RC Sproul, and The Christian Homeschool by Gregg Harris are three I have particularly enjoyed.

Our family also loves missionary stories. They help us to put our lives into the right perspective and remember where our focus should lie. We love The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom, Peace Child by Don Richardson, and Rebecca's Diary by Rebecca Pearl Anast just to name a few. I also can not fail to mention a blog I recently started reading called The Journey. This young lady has me completely and utterly speechless when I see what God is doing through her and how she is allowing herself to be used by Him. I can not get her out of my mind and I pray for her often.

Since I'm hitting all the "categories" I have to mention my favorite marriage and parenting books. Created to Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl is my favorite marriage book. Yes, it is blunt and to the point. Yes, it even seems harsh in many places. I have heard the critiques, and I do see how it can be taken the wrong way by some - especially if you are not familiar with the Pearls and their writing style. However, I challenge you to implement the principles in this book. It will change your marriage - radically! As for parenting, I love Shepherding A Chid's Heart by Ted Tripp and To Train Up a Child by Mike Pearl. These two books give very practical advice on discipline and parenting. However, this year I found the MOST amazing book on mothering. Hands down, it is the best thing I have ever read in my journey as a mom. Ironically, this book was written by someone in my local home school group. The book is Running Into Water by Angela Blycker. You will be blessed by this book, I can promise you.

I could go on and on. As I sit here typing I see six rows of floor to ceiling bookshelves in our office/library. They are five shelves tall. That is thirty shelves of books - and that is one room! All of our children have bookshelves in their rooms and we have one in our dining room and two sections of floor to ceiling in our "school" room. A couple of our children do not love to read (we are not sure where they came from! Ha!), but for me, books are a huge part of my life. Of course, the book that is most precious to me is the Bible. God's written love letter to His people. I love it. I am trying to read it from start to finish this year. I am pretty sure I have read the whole thing, but never in consecutive order. I am underlining and jotting notes and just loving hearing from Him. The adventure of following Jesus is amazing and throughout Scripture we see the blessings and trials of a life as a disciple of Christ. Oh, I want that life so badly. I want to follow Him, no matter the cost and have Him use my life to glorify Himself. I don't expect it to be easy, but I know without a doubt that it is worth it.

Sorry this has gotten so long. I hope you find a book on my list that you enjoy. Start with the Bible, it is hands down the best!!


2 comments:

Always Learning said...

I LOVE Francine Rivers also especially the few you named. I could read them over and over!

Always Learning said...

I Love Redeeming Love and The Mark of the Lion series. They are my family's favorite books! we could read them over and over again.