Time moves on and sometimes I want to be left behind. Sometimes I want to rewind. Those days when my kids were all little, when I had to load the car with four kids, strollers, diaper bags, and enough snacks to sustain us for a day - all for a trip to the grocery store! The days when we spent mornings at the park so the little ones would take nice long naps in the afternoon and I could read to my "big" guys - who were about eight at the time. I was physically exhausted most of the time, it's true. Those days were draining, especially when tantrums abounded and the house was a mess of toys, dirty dishes, and unmade beds.
However, those days were good, too. Joyous and full of laughter and playing. Loving and hugging and snuggling.
We still have laughter and playing - snuggling, hugging, and loving. But, things are changing around here. Tonight my four older ones piled in the car together to head off to see a movie with friends. The great news is a repeat of what I just said...they piled in the car together to head to the movies. They still love spending time together, that is the fruit of the way we have raised them. I am eternally grateful. The changing part is "they piled in the car..." I wasn't driving. I didn't go.
Therein lies the change. They are growing up. It is good. It is the way it should be. I have prayed their entire lives I would let go when the time came. I am trying really hard to let it happen. To admit that my "babies" are now adults. Seventeen and a half - wow, where has the time gone? I can assure you that it goes as fast as you hear it does. Even on those really LONG days when you are watching the clock tick and it seems that each second is an hour long. The years will melt together and soon your little ones will be seventeen. I guarantee it!
Another change in our lives happened today as well. My older two started their first semester of college. Dual enrollment actually, since they are still in high school, but they had their very first ever college class today. So far they are excited and feel like they are ready to handle it. We will see how it goes. Just one more step as they prepare for "real" life.
And one more opportunity for this Mama to watch them flap their wings. Soon they will soar and I will remember. I thank God that even though there are many things I could have done better, I truly have no regrets. We have spent countless hours together and I have loved every second of this journey that God is leading us on.
I am also so thankful that He saw fit to allow us to start over this year with our sweet baby boy. As for me, I have no desire to have an empty nest and if I get grand babies and kindergarten in the same year - I will consider it an amazing blessing!
So, from seventeen to one - we are moving along the path that God has laid out for us - changes and all!




No comments:
Post a Comment