Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Happy Birthday!!

Wow!  Graham is TEN years old today!!  Double digits!  I remember being excited about turning ten.  He was so excited last night he wanted to stay up until  midnight, so it would be his birthday when he went to bed.  I'm not sure if he made it - I didn't.  Graham is definitely the spark in our household - sometimes he is a firework and sometimes a raging forest fire.  There is no "in between" with Graham - he is on or off.  His personality is strong and loud and boisterous.  I know God is preparing him for something big and dangerous.  I am honored He thought I was capable of raising a child like this.

As Graham gets older and learns to control himself a bit, I am catching glimpses of who he is underneath his brazen exterior.  He is fiercely protective of me.  If I am sad or hurting, he is the first one to notice.  Then he will sit or stand really close to me and rub my arm.  He won't let me out of his sight until he knows I am ok.  He loves his baby brother so much.  For a couple of years before Patrick was born, Graham always said he wanted to be a big brother, like his best buddy Breck.  Since the day we brought Patrick home, Graham has been his shadow.  Yes, sometimes he aggravates him (but, isn't that what big brothers do to toughen up their little brothers), but he is always right there, ready to protect him on the playground or wherever we are.

Graham loves his daddy!  He is the first to volunteer to go to a ballgame or to the gym with dad.  He loves to wrestle and throw a baseball.  He is always on the go - begging someone to take play ping pong or shoot pool with him.

Graham, you truly are a joy to me.  Yes, you stretch me in ways I never thought about, and daily I pray that I am the mom you need.  I am always terrified that I am not the right balance of discipline and grace.  My desire is to keep your tough, strong spirit intact while at the same time teaching you respect for God's authority in your life.  I know we are going to make it.

Today, we will be celebrating our little man with all of his favorite eats.  Chocolate muffins for breakfast, mac and cheese for lunch, and chocolate chip cookie dough for dessert ( all gluten free of course).  Since we are in a new city, Graham has decided to celebrate with his Florida buddies in May, so today we will be seeing a movie he wants to see, eating all that "junk" he picked yesterday at the store, and going out to dinner when Daddy gets home.  Best of all, Graham gets the day off of school!  It will be a great day all around!

Happy Birthday little man.  Ten years ago, when I held you for the first time, I had NO idea what God had in store for me.  You bring me amazing joy and I am so honored to be your Mom!!

No comments: