Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Gang's Coming Home

Three of my kids have been in NC visiting my parents for the past two weeks!  Wow, has it been quiet around here.  My little Sweet P and I have had lots of bonding time.  We have watched too many "movies" - that's what he calls his episodes of Arthur and Veggie Tales that we watch on Netflix.  But, we have also had lots of hiking time, played at the park, visited the children's museum, and read books for hours (he is definitely a child after my heart).

I have also gotten to spend some one on one time with my "big" girl, Bryce.  It has been a long time since we got to enjoy a leisurely lunch together - we did that this past weekend after having our hair done and doing a little Christmas shopping.  Fun girl times!

I also got to have a "stay cation" with my hubby two weekends ago.  Bryce offered to keep her baby brother for two nights and we went to a resort about 5 miles from our front door.  The last time Stan and I were out of town together was two and half years ago when we adopted Patrick, but we really weren't alone of course, and we were so overwhelmed and busy falling in love with our new little man that it wasn't exactly the time to focus on us.  So, this little mini-vacay was much needed and much appreciated.

All in all, we have had a productive two weeks.  Relationships strengthened, boxes unpacked, pictures hung on the walls, and Christmas decorating begun.  I miss my kids like crazy, but I am not ready to get back onto a schedule for school.  Thankfully, Christmas break is fast approaching and the season of Advent is here.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, I have already explained that, but I do love the Advent season as well.  Focusing on the coming of Christ.  Having a curious toddler in the house again is so much fun.  We have a great little book (assuming I can find it) by Lisa Whelchel called The Advent-ture of Christmas.  It is chock full of great little advent crafts and things to do with little ones.  We used it a lot when the older kids were little and I am excited to get it back out again.  We also read a book every year called Bartholomew's Journey.  It is great for the kids even as they get older - everyone enjoys it.

Another tradition we have is participating in Advent by lighting the candles on our advent wreath every Sunday leading up to Christmas and reading Bartholomew's Journey.  This year we will add small daily activities so Patrick can learn even more about this most holy season.

Please comment with some of your favorite Christmas season traditions.

No comments: