Thursday, April 18, 2013

Birthdays Galore



Today the "child of my heart" turned three years old.  This is the little one that grew in my heart instead of my belly.  I knew my entire life that he was out there, but I had no idea how I would find him.  God knew.  He clearly led us down the path to this sweet boy and every day I am humbled beyond belief that I get to be his Mama.  He is a joy and a delight.  He has changed our lives forever.  "Adoption" is no longer just a word, now it has a face.  His face.  Patrick showed us that biology is not what makes a family - God is the One who knits hearts and souls together and He crosses race, age, and "special" needs to do it.

Today I can't help but think of the brave lady who gave birth to my son - our son.  She is a hero.  She chose life when she easily could have made another choice.  When we met "S" just ten days after Patrick's birth I made her a promise.  I promised her that we would pray for her every day and that I would teach Patrick to do the same.  When I see him fold his little hands and hear his sweet voice pray for his birth mom and dad and grandparents, I just feel so grateful that we get to walk this road with him.

If you have ever considered adoption, please don't let fear of the unknown discourage you.  God is so much bigger than any of the reservations you have - whether they are about finances, medical issues, or you are just plain overwhelmed about life.  Look at this sweet face - from birth to three years old, every day is a precious gift - one that we could have chosen not to accept.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God that He called us down this road.

Patrick - Mama loves you to the moon and back!!




We had another birthday in the family a few weeks ago.  Graham turned 11.  He hides from the camera, so the picture below of us hiking is the best I can do.  Look how tall and handsome he has grown.  Eleven years old!!  It is unbelievable to me that my kids are growing up so fast.  Graham is our "wild child."  He is full of boundless energy and when he experiences boredom it is not good for anyone in the vicinity.  Of all my children though, he is the one who sticks the closest to me and is the first to notice when I am upset or needing some help.  He is Patrick's constant companion and playmate and spends a good deal of time aggravating his little brother (as all good big brothers do).  Graham doesn't do anything half way. He either loves or hates whatever he is doing at the moment.  His newest obsession hobby is playing the guitar.  I really think this one is going to stick, he is actually very good at it and is determined to learn to play me some worship songs - and of course, some tunes from his favorite band R5.  He also enjoys Legos and playing any type of ball at the park with his dad.  They spend quite a bit of time at professional sporting venues since we moved to the big city.  Currently, it is baseball season and several nights a month you can find those two at Chase Field taking in a Diamondbacks game.  Graham, I love that God allowed me to be your mom.  You challenge me, you stretch me, but most of all you make me so very proud.  I love you so, so much!!




Finally, this beauty has a birthday coming up.  Lyndsey will be 15 in just a few weeks.  I am in total denial that I will have another driver in the family this year.  Parents of young children, let me tell you that if you think parenting is hard now, just imagine that precious little baby of yours behind the wheel of a car - in the traffic, with crazy drivers on the road.  Yeah - I know your days are long and overwhelming and I know your house is a mess and you haven't showered in days.  I know you hate to hear people tell you how fast the time goes, because bedtime looms like a distant dream - but believe me, the first time they drive away alone in the car, you would give your right arm to have those baby years back.  Everyone safe and sound in the nest, that is my favorite.  

Anyway, Lyndsey is my sensitive child.  She loves babies and little children.  She loves animals.  She also loves make up and clothes and photo shoots.  Watching her grow into a young lady has been a joy and privilege.  She makes me laugh and she has a huge, huge heart.  I can not wait to see what God is going to do in her life as she continues to follow Him.  

"G" (her nickname, courtesy of Patrick) - I love you more than you can imagine!!  Being your Mom is my great privilege.  





My other two turned 19 back in January.  I'm pretty sure I wrote about them then, but if not, I will be sharing more soon about their adventures because they start COLLEGE in the fall.  Oh my goodness - I am simply stunned when I think of that.  For the past 19 years I have been a stay at home/home schooling mom.  These two were my guinea pigs, my first born.  The ones that taught me what it meant to love someone so much I literally ached.  Since the day they were born, my heart has lived outside my body.  A piece of it goes with them every time they leave the house, and I'm still not entirely sure how I am going to continue to breathe when they leave for school in the fall.  Joshua and Bryce, you have endured much as my first born - and you have been patient, kind, and mature through it all.  I am so proud of the young adults you have become.  I could not love you more.  I know God is calling you both to great things - follow Him always!






No comments: