Friday, May 3, 2013

Patrickisms

This post is more for myself than you who are reading.  You probably don't really care - or maybe you will get a chuckle.  I just don't want to forget the cute things my little guy says these days, and I can never find a notebook and pen when I need it, so I am recording it here.

Patrick had his tonsils out this week - LONG story and worth a health notes blog post, which will be coming soon.  Anyway, the biggest risk associated with tonsil surgery is dehydration and since we already live in the desert I am a little concerned.  I feel like the "liquid" police - constantly pouring something down his throat.  First thing in the morning after sleeping all night with no pain medication his throat is pretty sore and it is hard to get him to take a drink or take his medicine.  This morning we were all gathered around trying to think of creative ways to get the medicine in him.  For example, Josh was pretending to be a wizard and making him "magic" juice to heal his throat.  I know, I know we are not really the "magic" type, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Anyway, Patrick said he wanted tea in a tea cup with a medicine dropper.  Ok.  Then he wanted crushed ice in it.  Check.  Then, he wanted it "hot."  Huh?  So, we warmed his tea and then called him back to the table.  He climbed up on the chair, stared down into his tea cup and said, "Where's my ice?"

We went to Starbucks the morning after his surgery - coffee for me, juice box for Patrick.  He saw a pack of cashews and wanted me to buy them.  I told him I didn't think that nuts would be a good idea since he just had surgery.  He furrowed his brow in that look of deep thought and then said, "Mom, they didn't take my teeth."

One more from surgery.  The anesthesiologist told Patrick that the mask he used to put him to sleep was his "astronaut" mask.  Patrick LOVES space, so this was perfect.  He went with the doctor and nurse with NO tears at all when they took him back for surgery (well, no tears from him - I was another story).  Anyway, they put him to sleep before they put in the IV, so that was great, and I didn't have to think about him in pain when I wasn't with him.  After the surgery, the anesthesiologist brought the mask to the room and gave it to Patrick to take home.  He was playing with it when we got home and I asked him, "What did the doctor say when he put the mask on your face?"  I was hoping he had not been scared.  Patrick calls himself Pakick and he answered, "Doctor said, Pakick, have fun in space."




1 comment:

Let Love Grow said...

Ha!!! :-) Love it! Thanks for sharing Shelby, my twin!!