Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Boy Mom


These are my boys.  One of them is not technically mine, and he has a family who loves him very much, but we consider him one of "ours" as well.  One of them I have yet to meet, but I love him with my whole heart.  I have my two girls - who I also love more than life, but today I want to talk about being a boy mom.  

It's different.

I didn't have any brothers and if you had told me before I got married that I had to choose whether to have all boys or all girls - I would have said girls without thought.  No doubt.  It is what was familiar to me.  

Mood swings, emotional outbursts, clothing strewn hither and yon, makeup stains in the bathroom sink and hairballs in the shower.  Laughing until you cry, shopping until you drop, and eating chocolate with tears streaming while lying in bed watching "chick flicks."  

Girl mom.  I got that.  I am one.  

What I was not familiar with was testosterone overload, stinky tennis shoes, baseballs through windows, angry outbursts, sweaty boy smells in a crowded mini van, competitiveness, stitches, and fist fights. What I was least prepared for are belly laughs that make your eyes fill with tears, crazy wild runs at the park rolling in mud and laughing hysterically, protective hugs from boy/men that stand over six feet tall, those same boy/men crawling into your bed at midnight to lie between Mom and Dad and talk about their latest crush or ask deep questions about God or growing up - because even though they look like men, their hearts are still tender and they are afraid of growing up and they need understanding and compassion.

We are in a unique place.  Our boys range in age from four to almost twenty-one.  We get to experience every age group - pre-school, puberty, one that lives on another continent, and young adulthood - each and every day.  It is exhausting, overwhelming, terrifying - and absolutely exhilarating.  I can not imagine my life without each and every one of these precious boys.

I am so glad that God did not ask me to choose - because I would have missed so much.  Raising young men in our culture is not easy.  All of my boys have been accused of being "too nice."  The "good guys."  It is hard for them.  Did you know that girls like the "bad" boys at first?  Then after several broken hearts they see the beauty in the ones that open the car doors, value and respect them as ladies, and don't try to take advantage of them sexually.  

My older boys teach me more and more about God every day.  They respect me as their mom and as a lady, they are protective and loving - waiting at the door to carry in the groceries when I get home from shopping (yes, they want to eat, but still.....)  At the same time they are tough, courageous and love danger.  They are all following hard after Jesus and they desire to be a part of furthering His kingdom to the ends of the earth.

My little guy wraps his arms around me every night as we snuggle up in bed to read books.  He whispers, "I love you to the moon and back 10 million times Mom."  And I look into his huge brown eyes - this child of my heart, and I know that there is a God in Heaven - and He is merciful and full of grace.  Giving us His good gifts, rather than what we deserve.  

My boys give me a daily glimpse of my Heavenly Father.  They prove to me that no matter what this life brings my way - I have sons who walk with the Lord, who love their Mom and sisters, who respect and honor women - sons who are growing into men.  Real men who will be responsible husbands and fathers - who will love and respect their wives and follow God's will for their lives, no matter how hard or impossible it seems - men that this world has too few of.  

I could not be more proud of these boys - or more grateful and humbled that God has allowed me to influence their lives. 

Guys - I love you all to the moon and back - infinity times!!!









No comments: