Monday, October 20, 2014

Heroes

We moved to Arizona three years ago.  In many ways, it has been the hardest thing our family has ever done.  We have had some really low moments, I won't lie.  We were settled in Florida.  We were happy and it had taken us a lot of years to get to that point.  We didn't want to leave.  But, God called and we followed.  I honestly don't know why He brought us here.  I could speculate about several things and some I may never know.  One thing I do know - because of our move, we met the Saunders.

My kids have long laughed at me about my lack of enthusiasm about "famous" people.  Honestly, I just don't care about autographs and following people around.  I feel like if I were famous, I would want to just go to the grocery store like a normal person and be left alone.  Occasionally, where we live, we see professional sports players in the grocery store and a few actresses who are from here get their hair done at the same place I do.  I smile and say hello if they are within speaking distance and if I had a chance to sit and chat with them, of course I would.  Yes, they have fame and influence that I don't have and of course, a lot more money - but at the end of the day, we are all just people and I am most impressed with the ones I know (like Jay Feely from the AZ Cardinals) who use their influence for good and lift the name of Jesus above their own.

Anyway, what I do get all giddy and excited about is the chance to meet people who are "famous" in my circle of adoption friends.  One of those people is Linny Saunders who blogs over at A Place Called Simplicity.  I have been reading Linny's blog for several years now.  I was following Linny's blog as she spent several weeks in Uganda bringing home their youngest treasure Ruby, who I have shared about in the past.  You can imagine my surprise when the exact same week Stan moved to Arizona, they arrived back in the states with Ruby and went directly to Phoenix Children's Hospital to evaluate her special needs.  They announced that they would be relocating from the small town in Colorado where they lived to the larger metro area of Phoenix in order to secure the best medical care possible for their tiny gem.

Not being one to shy away from meeting a hero - I immediately e-mailed Linny privately - gushing, squealing, and begging for an autograph - explaining that we too were relocating to Phoenix.  Soon after the kids and I arrived, this supermom of 12 invited our crazy family of 7 over for dinner.  Honestly, friends - these are the "famous" people I long to meet.  The ones whose entire lives are sold out for Jesus.  The real life heroes that I want my kids to emulate, that I want to be mentored by, that I just want to do life with.

Three years later, I am humbled and honored that God allows me to call Linny a friend.  A real life friend - we have prayed together, cried together, and laughed until we cried together over the past three years.  Our kids really enjoy each other's company, Stan and Dw really hit it off well, and every time we get together we end up making a pot of coffee, letting the kids stay up way past bedtimes and just telling stories of God's faithfulness late into the night.  Now we are also business partners in our Young Living business and we can "singlehandedly solve the world's health issues" in a single night -- according to our husbands, who shake their heads at us while we talk health and wellness.

The Saunders are the real deal friends.  They love Jesus, love the orphan and they believe in the promises of God.  They pray with fervent expectation and He moves.  The stories contained in their Memorial Box will blow you away!!  They are NOT perfect, they would not want me to insinuate at all that they are.  They are a family, just like yours and mine - they get aggravated at silly things, they make mistakes.  But, through it all they are thankful for what God has done, they trust Him for the outcome and they forgive.

About eighteen months ago their daughter Emma, a dear friend of Bryce's, embarked on the calling God placed on her life as a little girl.  She moved to Uganda.  Alone.  God has moved so many mountains and Emma is now the founder and director of The Gem Foundation.  We can not express our gratitude to God that He has allowed us to be just a very small  part of it.

Emma is 21 years old and her entire life is sold out to God's calling to serve the orphan in Uganda.  She is a tiny little thing - full of life and spunk and has a smile that can light up a room.  Her joy is palpable.  But, the reality of missional living is sometimes hard and dark.  It is a beautiful, glorious MESS.  Emma gets to see first hand, every day, the physical manifestation of the battle between good and evil.  The spiritual battle that rages around us all sometimes penetrates the spiritual realm and plants itself firmly in the midst of our reality.  Sometimes darkness covers and soldiers march and pestilence rages and babies can't breathe and people disappoint.

Please take a minute to read today's blog post at A Place Called Simplicity.   This is where the rubber meets the road.  This is why Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart, I have overcome the world."  Yes - we know that Jason is dancing with Jesus and we are glad for the promise of eternity.  But, the reality is that Emma has buried two of her precious children in the past month.  The reality is that it hurts.  Excruciatingly.

Friends, there is a battle raging all around us for the souls of those that God has called.  There are missionaries like Emma all over the world and there are believers like you and me right here in America.  We need to be in prayer and fasting for one another.  We are in the fight of our lives - for the lives of our brothers and sisters around the globe.  We all have one common enemy - and despite the way it looks, it is not each other.  Satan would love nothing more than to discourage and devastate Emma to the point that she gives up her calling and comes back home.  He would like nothing more than to decimate our testimony in the eyes of a watching world.  There is but one thing in this life that truly matters and that is to glorify God.  The way we do that is to reach out in love and compassion to every man, woman, and child on the planet.  It is a big planet - but we serve a bigger God.  We must demonstrate that LIFE is precious - every life, every where.

Please pray for Emma, pray for missionaries around the world, pray for each other.  The battle that rages is raging from an enemy who knows his time is short.  Desperate, he is grasping - but God promises that He is sovereign and in control.  The enemy is on a short leash and his time is running out.

Let's end this strong.




No comments: