We left for the Registration office, where we were to meet the orphanage directors and nannies that would bring us our children. Jeremiah's orphanage was about three hours away, so I did not expect that he would be there when we arrived. Our large group all received our children together, but we were divided for bus rides, even when we were going to the same place. This is a picture of us with the six other families that we were with the majority of the time.
It was Monday, February 15th in China, but in the US it was Sunday evening, the 14th. Valentine's Day. Clearly, the best one any of us had ever had. What better day to receive the gift that represents the very heart of the gospel - the very definition of Love itself?
We walked up those concrete stairs and through the front door, armed with bags of "distractions." Hand held toys, cars, dolls, stacking blocks and lollipops. Lots of lollipops. It looked like any other government building and a dim hallway led to the "Gotcha" Room. It was just a large room with a few chairs lining the edges. The nannies or orphanage directors would bring the kids there to meet us.
As I knew it would, our Gotcha was not like anything I had imagined. Mostly because I totally and completely jumped the gun and ran away with it. We were coming down the hall en masse with our group, having been warned over and over by our guides that most likely none of the kids would be there yet and not to worry or be anxious. They would all make it. Because patience is not my virtue, I peeked through the crowd into the room and I looked down. And there he was. All I remember is yelling over my shoulder to Stan and the kids, "Jeremiah is already here!" And I pushed through the crowd.
I didn't mean to. I didn't think about it. But, I saw him and I just couldn't stop myself. I squatted down right in front of him. I don't recall seeing the orphanage director or anyone else for a few minutes.
Then everyone else saw what was going on and pushed forward. And they just jumped on him. I keep imagining that he actually recognized us, thanks to all of "Aunt" Carol's hard work showing him pictures of us so often. He didn't cry and after checking me out for just a couple of seconds, he broke into a huge grin. His orphanage buddy, Louie, who also lived with Jeremiah at Shanghai Healing Home (more on that) was also there. Everyone else in our group just jumped in there and started snapping pictures and making videos. We had vowed to help each other capture as many moments as we could. At that moment, I could not see anyone except Jeremiah and the rest of my family as they gathered around him.
It was surreal really, I don't know how else to put it. It was a day that I had dreamed so much about, worked so hard for. I had tried to prepare for it, but you never really can. The emotions are completely overwhelming. And being in a room filled with other people experiencing the same thing made every emotion intensified. I used to be a very private person. I like being alone. When I was younger, I never wanted to talk to older women - I didn't want a mentor. I didn't want to open up to anyone. I just wanted to be inside my own head, to work it out alone. As I have gotten older, I have found that you miss so much by not sharing life's personal moments and struggles with others. We are all broken. God sent me my first mentor about 12 years ago, and having her in my life has taught me that I need my sisters in Christ. Stan needs his brothers. We need people that we can share life's joys and heartaches with - God created us to live in community.
So, a community "delivery room" is about the best explanation I can think of for the Gotcha Day scenario when you have a large group like we did. We would stare at our babies - still a bit in disbelief that the long anticipated day had come - hug them, and then carry them around the room to snap pictures and ooh and aah over our friend's babies. For two hours we watched the children come in, we heard the cries and the laughter. We took thousands of pictures and videos. We laughed and cried with each other. We took in the emotion of the reactions of others. Some people laughed when they first saw their babies, some gave shy smiles and patiently waited for the children to make the first move, some barreled into it with no reservation (that was mostly the kids), some broke down in sobs, and some people literally fell to their knees - praising God and absolutely overcome. It was a beautiful, glorious picture of heaven. It was just a sliver of what that glorious day will look like. When our faith culminates and all of our hopes become our reality. Gotcha Day is just a little like that. And I believe God was smiling.
By noon the last of the children had arrived. We gathered our things and our new little ones and headed back to the buses. Then began the work of bonding. Grief is no joke. And make no mistake, these kids are grieving. But, they are tough and courageous. They are made of the stuff of heroes. Next post I will talk about the bonding process and how that has looked for our family. It is so different for everyone and really nothing that can be predicted. I do think that many people in the adoption world today are not prepared for the intensity of the grieving process and often give up too soon. These precious souls have faced tragedies the likes of which most of us can not comprehend. They are wounded. But, they are oh so resilient. So incredibly brave. They fight for a fresh start and we have the holy opportunity to fight with and for them. It is a privilege and an honor that we are so very grateful God has given to our family. Thank you for reading and for being a part of our journey. Your prayers, your support, your love for our kids mean more than you can ever begin to know.












No comments:
Post a Comment