Sunday, October 16, 2016

Hope

I have so much to say with the recent events in our nation and the upcoming election.  I just won't though.  It doesn't matter - and I have been in enough Facebook "debates" recently to know that no one has any real skills or desire to truly debate any of the issues.  The pervading emotion is fear.  I can't be part of that.  I have been called simple, silly, and a baby murderer just in the last week alone.  By believers.  Believers with a platform.  Oh friends....

Today, I just want to share some thoughts with you.

Jeremiah has been home 8 months now.  It has been the longest and shortest period of time in my life.  We have had two surgeries, countless doctors appointments, lots of tears, lots of smiles - fear, elation, joy, and every emotion in between.

Every time we turn into our driveway, no matter how long or short of a time we have been away Jeremiah squeals with utter delight from the backseat - "Hoooome!  We're hooome!"   He has never had that opportunity before.  Yesterday, out of the blue and for no obvious reason except whatever was going on inside of his head, Jeremiah threw his arms around Patrick and said, "Patrick, you my brother!"  The joy and excitement in his voice brought me to tears.  Ugly cry tears.  He has never been able to say that before.  This morning, on two occasions Jeremiah got angry - once with Stan and once with Lyndsey.  When asked what was wrong, he replied, "Jeremiah mad at daddy.  Jeremiah mad at G."  Then, in a few minutes he was laughing as dad tickled him and pressing Lyndsey's face close to his for a kiss.  This is a family.  He has never had that before.  He roots through the refrigerator freely, as do all of my kids.  He is cautious around strangers, but after looking at me for approval, he looks people in the eye and talks to them.  He is outgoing, happy, smart, funny - and one of the two most courageous boys I know.

Jeremiah and Patrick have inside of them a courage that I so wish I could fully describe to you.  Their stories are not mine to tell though, so there is so very much about both of them that no one knows.  No one.  As much as I am an over sharer in many ways - my boys' history, medical issues, and emotional struggles will always remain under wraps.  Unless there comes a day that they decide to share them.  Suffice it to say though that both of them are survivors to the highest extent.  They have overcome obstacles from the moment of conception that most of us can not even fathom.  They are heroes.  Even though they may have been considered "hard placements," even though their medical predictions were frightening, even though we had no idea what we were getting into.  Even though.  These two boys, born to other women - one across the country and one across the world from me - were foreordained before the creation of the world to have a chance at LIFE.  They are ROCKING that chance.

Yesterday a friend said something on her Facebook page and I want to leave you with her quote.

"This.  This is the way our family casts a PRO LIFE vote."



No comments: