Monday, April 28, 2008

Crossing the Line!



Wow! Two fourteen year olds! When Joshua and Bryce were born and our first child was actually two, everything was doubled. Two car seats, two high chairs, two strollers,...you get the picture. We used to joke about how it would be to have two pre-schoolers, two elementary age students, two middle schoolers.....two high schoolers! Joshua and Bryce turned 14 last January. Now, we are talking about two drivers, two in college, two weddings! Oh my, it just gets more and more exciting!

Since I failed to give them the birthday blog they deserve, I wanted to take some time today to recount what is going on in their lives. As I said, they are 14 now. The other night I was lying in bed and it just hit me all of a sudden that they only have four years left of school. I know everyone tells young moms that time flies and all of that, and I have known for a long time that this is true. The days can go so slowly, but the years fly. The other night, however, the reality of this came crashing down on me as I realized just how fast the years fly. So much has happened in our lives over the past 14 years, yet the time has truly flown. I am absolutely amazed that we are finishing up our tenth year of homeschooling and that our oldest will be starting high school in the Fall (still at home, of course).

I want to take a minute to let you know what is going on in the lives of our "doubles." Joshua is playing tennis with a homeschool team and he loves it. He is getting really good too. He still loves to build with his Legos and his creations are becoming more and more intricate. He really has the mind of an engineer. Physically, he has passed Bryce and me and he is about the same height as Stan, with feet a whole size bigger! He has those big brown eyes with thick, dark lashes that will one day make his future wife swoon, and I noticed just this week that he will probably need to start shaving within a few months! He is still very laid back and compassionate. He still really loves animals and he still has a real talent for art, though he doesn't draw as much as he used to. He loves to read and he has done really well in his HEED classes this year. He seems to have a knack for Logic and made the highest grade in the class on the last Logic test.

Bryce is likewise growing up really fast. She is beautiful, with a thick head of curly hair that she finally got under control by reading the book Curly Girl. I won't tell you the secret, but her curls once again hang in the same soft ringlets that they did when she was much younger. Bryce has green eyes with the same thick, dark lashes as her brother. She is about my height and size and it is great to be able to share our wardrobes now. Bryce is an immensely talented writer and she amazes us all with the creative talent God has given her. She wants to write books someday and we have no doubt that soon she will be a published author. She has done well in HEED also, and she is at the very top of her writing class, which is actually for 9 -12 graders and she was able to join it a year early.

Both of them have given their lives to Jesus and strive to please Him in all they do. They are growing spiritually and have committed every aspect of their lives to whatever He calls them to be. I just have to say that I am so absolutely thankful for the amazing young adults they are turning into. I am so thankful to God for His call on their lives and for the time we have spent together as a family. I would not have missed this time for the world and I am eternally grateful that God called us to homeschool our children, so that we could train them according to their bent. Not a day goes by that I do not thank Him that He called and not a second goes by that I do not stand amazed that we answered that call and stepped out in total ignorance and utter faith.

Joshua and Bryce - I love you so much! Keep your eyes firmly on Jesus and He will lead you. You will never have any regrets about going where He tells you to go.

No comments: