Saturday, July 10, 2010

Baby Happenings

Baby is now the proud owner of his very own Medieval Torture Device. His new shoes came and his freedom to kick and twist his feet at will is over - permanently. Yes, he will have to wear these beautiful new kicks for the next three to four years! You heard me correctly - years!

It has been five days now since we got the shoes, so I am a little more upbeat. I was truly in a state of depression on Tuesday when the orthopedic representative came to our house for the "fitting." Sounds like you are going to get something really good when you have a private "fitting." A new ballgown or something really special. This is not exactly what we got out of it. Check out the look on his face when we put them on for the first time. It just broke my mommy heart.

He was not a happy camper. The doctor assured me that he would get used to them and soon be rolling over, kicking high, and yes, even standing up. He may give the "Flying Tomato" a run for his money one day. Sure enough, five days later, I can say that I think he is getting used to his lot. He was back to his normal 7 hour stretch of sleep last night and he is happily kicking us with his Dennis-Brown bar.
I have a tiny inkling of what it must be like to have a "special needs" child, with all the questions I get when we are out and the multiple times a day I explain what a club foot is and why he has to wear these special shoes. However, over and over again we feel blessed beyond belief that this is all we are dealing with. It could be so much worse and we know that so many others have things much more devastating to live with than "snowboarding" shoes. We will make it and one day when he he runs his first marathon, he will be glad he wore them.
Baby is happy now and seemingly back to his "old" self.

Thanks for praying for us. We have felt each and every prayer. Please send me any prayer requests you have as well. I would be honored to pray for you.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Shelby, I was born with a dislocated hip and had body casts and special braces and shoes until I was over 5 years old. My parents said it was so sad for them, but for me...after a couple days, I adjusted and learned to walk in braces I wasn't supposed to be able to move in. God loves you and has blessed you with this special baby boy...it is so hard not to be sad to look at him (it breaks my heart and I sure can sympathize)...but you are an awesome mommy and here "for such a time as this". I love you!

For Such A Time As This said...

Thanks T. It means so much to me to hear that. Love you too!! (And miss seeing you guys!)