Thursday, July 29, 2010

On the Road

This week we are in Birmingham, Alabama visiting my mother in law. She has not been able to see Baby yet, so we decided to come here on our way to North Carolina on vacation. We have had a great time so far, visiting the Children's Science Museum downtown, playing with her two new "babies" - chihuahuas named Bert and Ernie, and just hanging out watching her interact with her fifth grandchild.

Tonight, hubby arrives and tomorrow we squish ourselves into our mini-van, which we have surely outgrown, and head to the NC mountains. Oh, I love it there. I started going to Fontana, NC when I was eleven years old. My grandparents bought a membership to their resort and we started spending a couple of weeks each summer there. I love it mostly because of the beautiful simplicity of it. There is really nothing at all flashy to do. The resort is situated atop the highest mountain in NC, is the very westernmost part of the state. Rustic cabins dot the hills, all centered around the "Rec Hall" where on Saturday nights someone is calling Square Dance Moves and on Tuesday nights the Lion's Club is calling the Bingo Numbers. I'm not kidding when I tell you that Dominique called the Square Dance moves when I was a little girl and he was still calling them as of last year. There are people working in the General Store who worked there when I was young. I love taking my kids back there and walking those same trails again and again.

In many ways I am a wanderlust. I want to see far away places and since we moved away from my home town 15 years ago, I can't really get enough of traveling. I love to pack a suitcase and take off for a week or two - to anywhere really. However, Fontana really feels like roots to me. I don't mind at all vacationing in the same spot with our family year after year. My kids are learning to enjoy the restful days of playing in muddy streams, walking along mountain trails, and swimming in the deep, cold waters of Fontana Lake.

Next week I will post some of the gorgeous pictures that Bryce is sure to take while we are there!

No comments: