Monday, November 1, 2010

Vote!!

Many of you have already cast your vote during the early voting days. I did not do that, and now I will have to get out and fight the crowds tomorrow morning. In our area the crowds should be much reduced tomorrow because every single time I went by the library to take advantage of early voting the line stretched far into the parking lot. I think most of our city went out early.

If you did not vote early, then please vote tomorrow. Do not assume your one vote doesn't matter. They all count.

I don't think it is any secret where I stand politically. What you may not know is that I truly do not care about a "party" affiliation. It is kind of like a "denomination" of a church. I much prefer to be known as a person sold out for Jesus Christ - not a Baptist or a Presbyterian. Along similar lines, I could care less about being a Republican, a Democrat, or an Independent. What I care about is honesty, integrity, humility, responsibility, and justice.

Tonight I heard one of our Florida state representatives speak and he said this, "It is not about the right or the left, it is about right and wrong!" I would agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

I believe in small government. I believe in spending money that you have, rather that money that you only wish was in your pocket. I believe in letting the free enterprise system work the way it is capable of working without government intervention. I believe in the moral responsibility that we have as believers in Jesus Christ to the poor, the needy, and the orphans. I do not believe that a politician has the right to tell me where my money should be "donated."

Do I believe that we have the right to this type of lifestyle in our country? No, I believe that we have been blessed by God for a very long time - far above what we deserve. I believe that no where in the Bible does God promise us peace and prosperity. In fact, He promises us trouble - which is exactly where we are headed as a country if He doesn't intervene. He promises us that if His people are humble and sorry for their sins, then and only then will He heal our land. I'm not sure we are sorry yet.

I do think that we are sorry for the mess we find ourselves in as a nation. I believe we are sorry that we have so many people out of work and so much spending going on that we can't even count the number of zeros attached to the national debt! I believe that we are sorry that we are losing our businesses and our homes.

But, do I believe we are truly humbled for the sin that is rampant in our culture? Do I believe that we are sorry for the hundreds of thousands of babies we murder each year in the name of "family planning?" Do I believe we are truly broken over the sex trafficking industry that is shaking our nation to its core? Do I believe we are on our faces every day begging God to spare our nation?

No, frankly, I don't. I think we all get caught up in the American Dream and we live our lives forgetting that any second it could all come crashing down. Forgetting that number of men and women who have given their lives for the cause of freedom.

Forgetting that we don't deserve a thing!

Tomorrow we each have the opportunity to cast a vote. We still have a democracy in our country - for how long I don't know. But, right now, we still get to participate in the process of electing officials. When you cast your ballot tomorrow, think about the traits you would like to see reflected in the government. If you are like me you would like to see a little more honesty, responsibility, and integrity.

Whatever your opinion, you still have the right to exercise it!! Please do get out and vote!!




No comments: