Saturday, January 29, 2011

Not Done Yet

Since Kelly's Korner did Show Us Your Life - Adoptions yesterday, I have been reading adoption stories non-stop. I have also been sobbing non-stop, but I'm sure you are not surprised at that! You will see more blogs added to my "favorites" as I continue to read, but I want to share one in particular with you. On my sidebar you will see a button that says "Praying Wes Home." This family has an adoption story that really spoke to me, and I am adding their family to my prayer list. If you feel led to do the same, I know they would appreciate it. Be sure you watch the video of Lucy Lane's Gotcha Day! I could NOT stop crying. Stan just stood over me and shook his head.

I think he was shaking his head because he knows that my heart is on a roll now. And deep down, I know that his is too. Every time he looks at Patrick I can see that light in his eyes. Our other kids are the same way. They just snuggle up to him, give him tons of kisses, and then look up and say, "Mom, when can we get another one?"

Wes is coming home from Ethiopia, to join his five siblings. And the thing is, Ethiopia is a country that has been on my heart for a long, long time. I have bought books to help me learn more about the culture. I have researched Ethiopian adoptions and I have sobbed through hours of paralyzing videos of older kids waiting to be adopted from Ethiopia. Moms crying out for someone to help them so their children don't starve. My own sisters in Christ, sobbing for Jesus to save their babies. Wrenches your heart out.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Patrick was planned for our family. When God knit this little boy together in his birth mom's womb, He knew he was ours. He is a perfect fit. His adoption was an absolute miracle. His birth mom is a beautiful, special lady who will always hold a piece of my heart. She gave LIFE to my son.

I love any adoption. International or domestic. The need is enormous either way. I have many people ask me if I think the need is more urgent domestically or internationally. That is a tough question to answer. For us, we did what we knew God was leading us to at that time. And it was right. If/when we do it again, I don't know what He will lead us to do. My gut tells me I have a baby in Ethiopia, but I have certainly been wrong before.

The short version of my opinion is that domestically the spiritual need is huge. Most babies in America are not going to starve too death if they are not adopted. However, the chances of them being sexually and physically abused, growing up in foster care, or ending up on the streets is real and pressing. Our country is becoming a dark place spiritually and I shudder when I think of the hundreds of thousands of children in America who are growing up scared and alone.

On the other hand, in many international countries, the most immediate issues are disease and poverty. Millions of babies are dying around the world because they don't have clean drinking water. Add that to HIV/AIDS, malnutrition, and death from basic childhood illnesses and you have a picture of the children growing up in a myriad of places around the world. Of course, many countries outside of the United States are also spiritually dark. Even though you find a large Christian community in places like Ethiopia and Haiti, other countries like Russia and China are predominately atheist or some other false religion.

In short, the need is overwhelming no matter where you go. That is why I think it is so important to pray and then listen to where God is leading you on your adoption journey. He could take you anywhere.

As I sit here and think about it, I am so excited because I personally know so many people who have adopted and/or fostered children. Personal friends of mine have children from America, China, Guatemala, Russia, and El Salvador. Our church is starting an Orphan Ministry to encourage people along the path to adoption and foster care. More to come on that, we are so thrilled to be a part of it!! Since yesterday, I have "met" blog "friends" from all over the country with one adoption story after another. I am thrilled to have so many new people to pray for.

Our little guy is only 9 months old, but we are ready. Ready to hear from God about the next child He has knit together for our family. I just know we are not done yet.

1 comment:

Matt and Abby said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. My story was very short and not really detailed but sometimes with little ones around (and I'm really sick with a bad cold) I just couldn't put the brain power together to write something profound.
Anyway, thanks for your encouragement.
I read your story too, it's amazing. Three weeks! That little guy was certainly supposed to be in your family!
I'll have to keep tabs on your family to see what the Lord has in store for your next!