Friday, January 28, 2011

Show Us Your Life - Adoption Stories

Our adoption story started way before I even met my husband. I have wanted to adopt a baby since I was a little girl. The years passed, I married a wonderful man, we had four amazing children, yet the desire to adopt was still strong in my heart.



I have many posts here about adoption, and why I feel so strongly about it. You can check them out.

Today, since Kelly is doing adoption stories on "Show us your Life" I want to briefly share our son's story with you. There is so much more I could say.

On March 31st, 2010, my husband and I were out to dinner alone. Sitting there, and completely out of the blue, he said, "I think the time is right for us to adopt.". I almost toppled out of my chair! He knew this had been on my heart and in my prayers for years.

The next day I called a friend who is an attorney and talked to her about our options. We always thought we would do international adoption. After much prayer and discussion with her, we knew God was leading us to pursue a domestic adoption plan.

We filed our paper work a few days later and within a week had our home study. We thought the waiting process would be at least 8 months. Eleven days after our paperwork was filed, we received a medical referral for a little boy. Born three and a half weeks early to a drug addicted mother in a state across the country from us. Just the night before, I had been crying out to the Lord about the decision we were facing. My husband and I did not feel that we could or should "choose" based on a medical report. We believe that God is bigger than that, and whoever He wanted to place in our home, we were ready to accept. We said yes immediately.

I think our attorney was a little surprised, as we really did not spend much time "deciding." Our son was seven days old when we picked him up from the hospital. Other than being a little under six pounds and having a club foot, he had shown NO symptoms of any medical issues at all. What a miracle. Exactly three weeks to the day of almost falling out of my chair in that restaurant, I was holding my son.






Our other kids are thrilled. They think God sent them a real baby doll, straight from Heaven. And so He did.





Patrick is now 9 months old and a total joy. His foot is completely straight and he has NO issues from the drugs or the early birth. We feel blessed beyond belief and truly humbled that God chose us to raise this little boy. Adoption really is an amazing miracle.

6 comments:

Diana Lesjak said...

Something made me pick your blog to read off the adoption list of blogs on Kelly's. What a beautiful story... what a lucky little boy! You have a wonderful husband! God bless your whole family~

~aj~ said...

Absolutely beautiful! God works in amazing ways!

Jenny said...

What a beautiful family and an amazing story!!! Blessings!

Holly said...

He is adorable! I love his tiny little converse sneakers! :D

Sammy said...

Oh my gosh, was an amazing story! I loved it. God is incredible and the way He moves and works blows my mind. Patrick is simply adorable!

Amanda said...

OH my goodness! What an amazing story! There is no doubt that God had you in mind for little Patrick!