Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Weekend Fun


Can you guess where we were this weekend?

We live fairly close to Orlando, but we really do not go to Disney very often. We are not the family with season tickets or anything. We have thought about it over the years, but every time we venture out to "do Disney" I come home a little frustrated, so we have never thought it was worth our money to frustrate ourselves several times a year!

This weekend, however, my sister and her husband planned a camping trip to Ft. Wilderness. They live in North Carolina, so we don't see them as often as we would like, therefore, it was just too close to pass up a chance to see them and my nephews. My hubby is not a fan of Disney, so I decided that for his Valentine's gift of love, I would not get even a hint of an attitude that he did not want to go along - and I would take the kids by myself. We rented a cabin at the Ft. Wilderness campground, which we have never done before. I was very impressed with the entire campground. Chip and Dale sing along and campfire every night and a movie on the humongous screen. It was a little cold at night for my thin Florida blood, but I felt like a real wimp in my thick sweatshirt and jacket when I overheard a man say, "Well, this feels great. It was thirty below when we got on the plane this morning!" EXCUSE ME?!?!

We decided that we would stay three nights and go to Epcot for one day. That is the only park that we have never really spent any time in, and now that all the kids are older (except P of course), there is a lot there for them. We really enjoyed the day, except for when we didn't. You know, like when everyone wanted to ride something different, or when someone had to go to the bathroom - two minutes after we got going from the last bathroom stop. Or when we couldn't eat lunch at any of the restaurants because we didn't make a reservation a year in advance! (Seriously)

The weather was perfect during the day, the crowds were at a minimum, and it was great to see my sister and her family. The only negative was that my nephew woke up Sunday morning with a really high fever. After seeing a doctor, he was diagnosed with the flu. That was NOT a good way for them to start the vacation they have planned for months, and it is never good for me, germaphobe that I am, to be in the presence of a confirmed flu case. My poor kids have no skin left on their hands from all the washing, and the younger two have not been allowed to hold the baby for the past couple of days. So far, it seems that we have avoided the nasty little bug, but we will keep to ourselves for another day or so to be sure that we don't share our germs, just in case. The good news is that my nephew was really only sick for one day and even though we didn't let the kids play together inside, they did join us at Epcot for a few hours on Monday, when his fever broke.

My sister and I pumped them all (and ourselves) full of supplements and Oscillicocum and it seems to have worked. My nephew ran a fever all day Sunday of about 102, it broke during the night and stayed around 99 until about noon on Monday. This morning when we went to their campsite to tell them good-bye, he was all smiles and ready for a big day at Animal Kingdom.

That was our weekend at Disney and it will probably do us until time to take Patrick to Magic Kingdom in a few years. I actually love the parks, but in all honesty I am really the only one who does. Stan definitely doesn't and the kids can take it or leave it. I often threaten to take a few days and go by myself, and honestly, I don't think anyone would care if I did.

Now, we are home and getting ready to greet my parents who arrive tomorrow for a few days. We haven't seen them since before Christmas, so we are very excited about the next few days.



2 comments:

Let Love Grow said...

Sounds fun; actually it is GREAT to go alone or with a friend who as loosey-goosey... you and i would make a good pair! I had tons of fun a few years ago when I went w/ a friend - he had a specific desire to check out the FOUNTAINS of Disney... so we were on a different agenda than everyone else and totally had a blast! :-)

For Such A Time As This said...

Let's do it Tammie!! Seriously. Your schedule is probably tighter than mine, so let me know if you think you can work it in sometime. Stan is going to Arizona this weekend on a "fun" trip, so he will totally be ok with me going somewhere by myself for a couple of days. And I think I can leave Baby now, for a few nights anyway. Or, I can bring him - believe it or not, he is the least amount of trouble in my crazy family!! :)