Friday, July 3, 2015

America, America.......

Independence Day is upon us.  I have much to say, but I will try not to ramble.

 I admire so much the men and women in our military who daily risk their lives to preserve the freedoms that our Founding Fathers fought so hard to secure for us.  I feel those freedoms slipping away from us with startling speed - however, the men and women in uniform still deserve our respect and honor.  They will get that from my family and me.

I will continue to teach our children the truths of history.  Some of it is good and right and some of it  very bad.  All of it is necessary so that we do not repeat it.  Many, if not most, people in this country do not understand that concept and therefore have not learned the lessons that history begs to teach us.  We are enduring the fallout of that ignorance, again with startling speed.

Of course, as a follower of Christ, I believe the truths of Scripture to be the most important of all.

Proverbs 14:34, "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people."

The "sin" in my mind when reading this verse is likely not what you are thinking.  I refuse to debate the recent court ruling or anything else that falls into the realm of "moral judgement" in this light.

The sin that most concerns me, is MINE.

2 Chronicles 7:14, "If my people who are called by my name, humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."  

As Bible believers, the sin that is destroying this nation is not the sin of others - it is all OURS.  The blame for the state of the union can be laid squarely at the feet of His followers.  God is ON the throne, He is IN control - and I believe He is grieved right now.  Not because our nation has strayed so far.  Not because atheists don't believe in Him.  Not because other religions worship other gods.  No, I believe He is grieved over the hard hearts of His children.

We, who insist on blurring the lines in our own lives and then throwing stones at everyone else.  We, who insist on screaming "immoral" at others while our own hearts are wrought with adultery, lust, fornication and pornography.  We, who ignore justice - which God mentions in Scripture many many more times than He mentions the things that appear to "offend" us so deeply.  We ignore the millions of babies who go to bed every night without a Mommy or Daddy - you KNEW this was coming, didn't you??  We ignore the widows who cry themselves to sleep wondering how they are going to put food for their tables.  We ignore the hungry, the cold, the homeless.  And we cry "FOUL" at something else, simply because it offends our sensibilities.  Or, maybe to deflect from our own sin.

I have an idea - and I think it is a pretty good one, no matter which side of the political line you land on (or maybe you, like me, are sick of politics and political correctness in general).  If you claim Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, let's be about His business.  HIS business.  Hint:  You are going to have to actually read the Bible to know what that is.  The answer will likely surprise many of you.

Friends, we have more than enough to do to keep us busy until He returns.  Both within our own hearts and in the world.

America, as great of a nation as it is - and I still believe it is - is NOT the Hope of the world.  We are not that great, and frankly we never were.  Jesus is the hope of the world.  The ONLY hope.  America, however, still tenaciously holds on to the virtue of freedom.  Those who want to rip that from our fabric may be loud, but they are not the majority.  Not yet.  I realize most Americans foolishly believe that the rest of the universe revolves around us - but if you take the time to learn about other countries and the plight of their people (particularly their orphans - there it is again, sorrynotsorry) - then you will know that we still have it pretty good.  For now.

Teach your children the lessons that history is begging them to know.  Teach them about Nazi Germany.  Teach them about the Confederate flag and the Civil War.  Teach them the things that have oppressed us in the past.  Don't rewrite history - but learn from it.  This country - this world -  needs more educated, brave, humble and loving men and women who are willing to STAND firm for true freedom.  And folks, that only comes from ONE source.

Galatians 5:1 "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore and do not submit again to the yolk of slavery."

Happy 4th y'all!!!



No comments: